Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_postbit.php on line 1033

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_postbit.php on line 1033

Ok, axle poll

View Poll Results: Which axle combo would you do for best bang for the buck???

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rubi 44/explorer 8.8 w/ factory posi and 4.10's

16 34.04%
  • hp44/9" from 78/79 bronco

18 38.30%
  • hp44/d60 from 78ish f350

6 12.77%
  • waggy d44's

3 6.38%
  • hp30/8.25 locked w/ 4.56's already

4 8.51%

Thread: Ok, axle poll

1. #1 Ok, axle poll 
    Ok, since I'm mentally torturing myself I figured I'd get some advice from those who have been there done that and seen a bunch.
    Basically here's what I'm looking to do. My 96 ZJ sees a fair amount of dd/family carting duties but it also sees occasional off road use(once or twice a month after it's all back together most likely).
    I'm trying to find the best balance of bang for the buck/stregth/and off road ability. I'm living on a single income family with kids budget so junkyard scrounging/lucky internet finds are musts here lol. My end result is to run no larger than 37's, more likely 35's, and have something safe and reliable to cart the kids around in and be able to occasionaly wheel hard and still get home at the end of the day.
    I already have a rubi 44 front, I was going to do an 8.8 rear w/ the factory 4.10's in both ends and call it a day.
    Or, sell the rubi 44 for a profit and grab one of the following deals:
    A hp44/9" combo from a 78 bronco,
    a hp44/d60 combo from around the same year f350,
    or a set of d44's from a waggy.
    I found all three sets locally for around $200. So I'd have to dump the rubi setup and put the profits into gearing/locking the rest. Would it be worth it in terms of reliability or am I just thinking overkill? I also like the ide of selectable hubs for less than a grand vs. the rubi housing. Am I overthinking things too much?
    Regardless best case I'll most likely wind up with it 4.10's for gearing which on 35's or bigger I know is a stretch with a 4.0 but for now I'll settle and regear in a year or two when the extra funds allow, unless I need to gear right now, which the expense of is what is leaning me away from the waggy axles. Like I said, best bang for the buck without being a timebomb.
    Hell, I also found an hp30/chrysler 8.25 pair w 4.56's already locked for $600 but I'm worried the 8.25 living. Or would it? I haven't heard much on them and I'm figuring there's a reason for that.
    Feel free to post up any and all opinions. I'm all ears
    [Mine] 96 ZJ laredo: 3.5" pro-comp lift w/ 33's
    The family wheeling wagon, broken and gathering parts...

[Hers] 99 TJ sport: 2" BB w/ 32" BFG MT's

2. #2 Re: Ok, axle poll 
    pick up the 88, sling it under there with your D30, and then slowly build the Rubi 44, unless the rubi 44 is already built.

3. #3 Re: Ok, axle poll 
    Put the rubi and the 8.8 under there. Get comfortable with that on 35's and if you don't like it in a year or two, ditch them for 60's and move up in tire size.
    Project Never-ending
    1997 ZJ - sold
    www.tntcustoms.com

4. #4 Re: Ok, axle poll 
    X2 on the Rubi 44+8.8 nice lil combo
    R.I.P Davey "Kyle" Halabuk

Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

5. #5 Re: Ok, axle poll 
    Best bang for your buck though, last I checked the Rubi's aren't cheap. Correct me if i'm wrong.
    Krash80: And my trailer weighs 8,000 lbs empty.
    CurtP: What does your house have to do with any of this?

The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much, it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.
    ~Franklin D. Roosevelt

6. #6 Re: Ok, axle poll 
    The hp44 you are refering to out of a 78 ish 350 is actually out of the 250 and is an 8 lug 44 with the matching 60 rear....I would go this way because I'm pretty sure the bronco hp44's have cast wedges....therefor making it very difficult for you to make mounts for control arms and what not around them. With the money you could make off of the rubi 44 you could have a pretty polished 44 front with a bigger/strong ring and pinion, chromo shafts, and nice u joints. Just my .02
    Last edited by wheelNC94GC; 03-11-2008 at 10:25 PM.

7. #7 Re: Ok, axle poll 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    9" rear is a great axle. Plenty of strength for up 37"+ and lots of aftermarket support without the loss of clearance you get with a 60 or 14bollt. 3rd is nice as well.
    04 Dub -- Longarms, JK44, 9" ARB's etc.
    68 Super Wagoneer - Resto Project
    93 ZJ: longarms, 231D, 35's, 44/Hi 9", ARB's, etc. -- Sold

8. #8 Re: Ok, axle poll 
    I like the HP44 and 9inch idea... but if I'm not mistaken you're gonna have to have em shortened?? In addition I'd throw on a set of chevy knuckles too...

9. #9 Re: Ok, axle poll 
    Just take my axles.. Already geared, locked, and chomo'ed and come with essentially free longarm and steering systems to make them bolt in to your rig. Cruise open/open on the road, then turn two knobs, hit a switch and hang with the big dogs on the triple blacks. I tested them for you and will vouch that they''ll hold up to some pretty stupid amounts of abuse.

Cam

10. #10 Re: Ok, axle poll 
    hp44 and 9'' they are both a dime a dozen and fit very well under lots of vehicles with out shorting and like you all know they both have tons of aftermarket support. and we all know that ford made tons of trucks with that package making them the most available for good price.
    but I could be a little bias cause thats what I just got! so dont tell me I could of got better for the money I spent!
    stuff welded and bolted to a wagon

11. #11 Re: Ok, axle poll 
    i agree a hp44 and 9" would be the way to go
    99 WJ, D60/14B, 5.38s, 203/D300, 39.5"s, H1s

It was a jeep thing, but that shit broke

12. #12 Re: Ok, axle poll 
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    Just take my axles.. Already geared, locked, and chomo'ed and come with essentially free longarm and steering systems to make them bolt in to your rig. Cruise open/open on the road, then turn two knobs, hit a switch and hang with the big dogs on the triple blacks. I tested them for you and will vouch that they''ll hold up to some pretty stupid amounts of abuse.

Cam
    This is what I'm leaning towards the most
    Just need to make sure I have a pile of money (not all that hard as I'd be halfway there if I sold some of the other stuff I've been gathering) for when they are ready to come out and decide if I can live without the ZJ all summer as it's down for the count right now and needs parts...

Oh and, you have another PM
    [Mine] 96 ZJ laredo: 3.5" pro-comp lift w/ 33's
    The family wheeling wagon, broken and gathering parts...

[Hers] 99 TJ sport: 2" BB w/ 32" BFG MT's

13. #13 Re: Ok, axle poll 
    HP44/9" Combo... It's what I'm workin on.
    1993 Jeep ZJ V8 5.2
    HP44/9", 4.88's, Detroit, OX, Clayton's, ALL IN PROGRESS
    LINK TO MY PAGE

Thread Information