Thread: 5.2 Engine Life/Longevity

1. #1 5.2 Engine Life/Longevity 
    I'm looking to buy a ZJ now to replace my built XJ.

I'll have $2000 in student loan returns coming soon to spend.

I am finding ZJs in this price range, but many of the 5.2's are high mileage(150,000+).

What kind of life should I expect from one of these engines? I know the 4.0's last forever, and I'm fine with finding one with a 4.0, but a decent V8 would be cool too if I can count on it lasting for some time.

thanks!

2. #2 Re: 5.2 Engine Life/Longevity 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    As long as you take care of them - same as the damn 4-slow. If you don't maintain a 4.0, it won't last for shit. If you don't maintain a 5.2, it won't last for shit.
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (Claytons, Teraflex coils), 33" Kumho MT KL71s, Aussie in the rear
    A bunch of KOR stuff
    Taurus e-fan swap (DC Controls box)

GSW 2010 Pics

3. #3 Re: 5.2 Engine Life/Longevity 
    do it right the first time, you'll regret buying the 4.slow. Get the 5.2, people report into the 300,00 mile range regularly, im at 120,000 and running like new, plus there is a ton of aftermarket for the 5.2
    '98 ZJ 5.9L Ltd
    UC Springs/.5" spacer/MX6 Shocks/SCT Tuned/BBK 52mm TB/K&N FIPK/Amsoil Filter/"Jeep" Valve Covers/Doug Thorley Headers/Random Technologies Cat/Magnaflow/"Kolak" Ignition/Optima Redtop/Lotek Dual Pillar Pod/AEM Tranny Temp Gauge/Mag-Hytec Tranny Pan/RB1 WJ Nav/Vancos/EU Headlights and Turn Signals/Turn Signal Mod/JKS Disconnects

Waiting to be installed
    M1/Insulated Fuel Rails/24lb FMS Injectors/Underdrive Crank Pulley/Walbro Fuel Pump/Prothane Bushings/Hotchkis Swaybars

4. #4 Re: 5.2 Engine Life/Longevity 
    I'm at 190,000 and the only issues I've had with the engine were the little PITA hose on top of the water pump but under the accessory mount and the usual rear main seal and intake plenum gasket.

Might want to replace the idler and tensioner pulleys - mine let go around 175k within a couple hundred miles of eachother and it's cheap insurance. I wouldn't consider that a problem with the 5.2 by any means though. All in all, with regular maintainance, I consider it to be a really good engine and definitely better than the 4.0.
    re: testy
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady
    scrotum.

5. #5 Re: 5.2 Engine Life/Longevity 
    It really is all about how you care for the engine. if you let it run hot or low on oil a lot you are going to have issues.
    95 zj, KOR 7" long arm kit, lockrights front and rear, 285/75/16 (32.9x10.3) on rock crawler 16x8x4.5bs, kevins track bar with a home brew conversion, K&N FIPK, and Rubicon Express gen II discos.

Ready for install... home brew sliders
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/sho...hlight=sliders
    Dr. Mambo
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/sho...ighlight=mambo

6. #6 Re: 5.2 Engine Life/Longevity 
    no matter what, go with the 5.2. i have a 95 limited, and its awesome. a friend of mine has the 4.slow, and he hates it even after $400+ in upgrades. mine will run his down no problem. we went to the strip once, and i gave him 4 links. i still kicked his ass by 3 and mine is stock. yea thats right, i drag race it, and drift it on occasion too!

just make sure you check it out really good. when i bought mine the motor mounts were shredded, and it leaked everywhere. it only had 89,000 on it, so i figured it would be ok. it has all most 130,000 now and still runs like a raped ape.
    If you don't break it, you aren't wheeling it hard enough.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt me when Im doing it!

7. #7 Re: 5.2 Engine Life/Longevity 
    engine is good tranny not so good

8. #8 Re: 5.2 Engine Life/Longevity 
    It depends on the year, the '93-'95 46RH is apparently more reliable than the later 44RE. I have 210K on my '93 with the original engine and trans. It's had fluid changes and band adjustments on schedule. Most people don't maintain their transmissions correctly.

9. #9 Re: 5.2 Engine Life/Longevity 
    dude, please, please, PLEASE do not buy the 4.0. It is marginally powerful enough for the zj in stock trim, and immediately becomes inadequate with any additional weight. Any mpg advantages you may have had are almost moot because the 5.2 doesn't have to work anywhere near as hard to push the pig down the road.

I hated every second of my 4.0. If my zj had been a 5.2, I'd still have it.

Buy the 5.2, do your oil changes, and take care of it. Even a rebuild wouldn't be the end of the world.

Paul

10. #10 Re: 5.2 Engine Life/Longevity 
    Quote Originally Posted by speeddemon250 View Post
    engine is good tranny not so good
    like said before

the 46RH is an excellent transmission.. ive never had any problems with mine

oh and my 5.2 is at 150k without any major issues ( aside from the usual plenum gasket.. but i replaced it with a Hughes Engines plenum plate and gasket so i shouldnt be having that problem again )
    Matt
    December '09 ROTM
    93 ZJ 5.2 242J
    HP30-truetrac/D44a-Aussie 4.56
    6.5" Long Arms, 35"s

11. #11 Re: 5.2 Engine Life/Longevity 
    ....... Lifetime Supporter rstrucks's Avatar
    My V8 (5.9) is at 183xxx and running strong. Its completly stock minus tune up stuff and a water pump.
    Thank you to those that serve our country.

12. #12 Re: 5.2 Engine Life/Longevity 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Ted_Z's Avatar
    I've got 185K on my 5.2L and all I've got is some slightly above average oil consumption and a rear main leak. The internals are still pretty solid.
    -Ted Z
    '97 Grand Cherokee Laredo w/ stuff
    '02 Grand Cherokee Limited w/ less stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    everytime someone makes a bumper with a stinger, God kills 6 baby Koala's.

13. #13 Re: 5.2 Engine Life/Longevity 
    My 5.2 just ticked 180k miles, I replaced all the gaskets on the engine at 150k to stop some valve cover leaks, and the typical intake plenum leak. Runs like a champ. Burns a little oil when it's due for a change.

Just seafoam'd it and it cured a lifter tick and cold running knock (think it was a carbon ping)
    94 ZJ 5.2l, 2" Rancho springs, 242 conversion, Ford 8.8, electric fan conversion, 31x10.5x15 Nokian Vatiiva M/T on black steelies.

14. #14 Re: 5.2 Engine Life/Longevity 
    I sold one of my ZJ's last week with the 5.2. It had 310K on the clock, which was actually less than the actual mileage when you consider the 35's and stock gearing. The motor was never opened up... not even a gasket replacement. The accessories (A/C, P/S, water pump etc) were replaced when needed but the motor itself stayed strong and solid since I purchased it in 2000, with only 80K on the clock.

The rear main did leak, but not that badly.

The 44re is a different story... mine went at 170K, but after the rebuild I had no problems up to the sale last week with 310K.

Regular oil changes, tuneups, and proper diagnosis and remedies for simple problems will keep the engine going for as long as you'd like. Small problems tend to turn into big ones when ignored, so pay attention if you'd like to get the most out of what I found to be a great powerplant. I'd never take a 4.0 over the 5.2, ever.
    Krash80: And my trailer weighs 8,000 lbs empty.
    CurtP: What does your house have to do with any of this?

The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much, it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.
    ~Franklin D. Roosevelt

15. #15 Re: 5.2 Engine Life/Longevity 
    270,000 miles+ on my 1995 V8 and 46RH and still running good. Doesn't smoke, leaks a bit from the rear main seal, but not enough to worry about.

Trans still seems to work fine, except I am about to change the fluid and filter, so it will probably start falling apart in the next week or two.... That's how these things seem to work....

I am really glad I got the V8, if only for the fact that I don't have to think that about what I "shoulda got...." for as long as I own it. Face it, they are so dirt cheap you can afford to find exactly what you want if you look for it. I paid $700 for mine.
    1995 ZJ Laredo - 5.2 V8, NP231 w/SYE, 5.5" lift with Clayton Longarms.

Oshkosh M-977 Heavy Expanded Mobility Tactical Truck (HEMTT) - 12.0 liter supercharged+turbocharged 2-stroke V8 diesel. Stock for now....
    http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthr...ighlight=hemtt

16. #16 Re: 5.2 Engine Life/Longevity 
    I have a 97 with 280,000 mi. on the 5.2. No real problems, just dont use champion plugs.

Thread Information