Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_postbit.php on line 1033

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_postbit.php on line 1033

Stocker Specs

Thread: Stocker Specs

1. #1 Stocker Specs 
    I think this would be good for the FAQ section. All the stocker specs, info on transmissons, t-cases, axles, measurements, etc. I've got the info about the AW4 trans at home so I'll add that this evening.

Basic Specs

Exterior
    Length: 179”
    Height: 64.8”
    Ground Clearance: 8.1”
    Width: 70.9”
    Wheel Base: 105.9”
    Curb Weight (Inline 6): 3675lbs

Interior
    Front Head Room: 38.9”
    Front Hip Room: 57.8”
    Front Shoulder Room: 58.3”
    Rear Head Room: 39.1”
    Rear Shoulder Room: 58.4”
    Rear Hip Room: 49.3”
    Front Leg Room: 40.9”
    Rear Leg Room: 35.7”
    Maximum Cargo Capacity: 81 cu ft
    Maximum Seating: 5

All ZJs are have solid axles front and rear. They are coil sprung at all 4 corners and using a 4 link suspension.

Transfer Case Specs

ZJs came with 3 transfer cases the 231 Select Trac, 242 Command Trac and 249 Quadra Trac.
    NP/NV231 – Command Trac – was a rare option. The shifter has 2HI-4HI-N-4LO on the bezel. It’s a very good all around transfer case and the same case as what the YJs and TJs use. It is a chain driven driver side drop transfer case. The low range is 2.72 and high range is 1.00.

NV/NP242 - Select Trac – The 242 had an optional full time 4WD selection on the case to be used in adverse weather conditions such as rain/snow storms for added traction and safety. The shifter has 2HI-Full Time 4WD-4HI-N-4LO on the bezel. It is a driver’s drop chain driven transfer case. The full time torque split is 48 front and 52 rear. Low range is 2.72 and the high range is 1.00

NV249 - Quadra Trac – The 249 was a Full Time 4WD transfer case with no 2WD option at all. The shifter has Full Time 4WD-4HI-N-4LO on the bezel. I do not know what the low and high ranges were.

Transmissions

Most ZJs came with a 4spd automatic transmission but a few 1993 models can be had with the factory 5spd manual transmission. It was a very rare option however so your chance of finding one is fairly slim.

AX15 – This was the 5spd manual transmission in the ZJs. Only used in 1993 models to my knowledge. It uses an external slave cylinder for the clutch. With the exception of the slave cylinder it is the same internally and externally as any other AX15 transmission.

42RE – 4spd electronically controlled automatic transmission found behind the 4.0L Inline 6 cylinder engine in ZJs. Not a very strong transmission and has a history of failure. There is very little to no aftermarket support for this transmission.

46RH – 4spd hydraulically controlled automatic transmission found behind the 5.2L V8 cylinder engine from 1993 till 1995. The 44RE replaced it in 1996. The 46RH is stronger then the 42RE and has a better history. There is some aftermarket for this transmission.

44RE – 4spd electronically controlled automatic transmission found behind the 5.2L V8 cylinder engine from 1996 till 1998. Not as strong as the 46RH but a good transmission none the less. There is some aftermarket for this transmission.

46RE – 4spd electronically controlled automatic transmission found behind the 5.9L V8 cylinder in 1998 only. It is similar in strength to the 46RH. There is some aftermarket for this transmission.

If and when you have to purchase a new transmission for your ZJ, make sure it is a 4WD transmission that you are buying. There are 2WD versions out there.

Engines

A total of only 3 engines where offered in the ZJs, the 4.0L Inline 6, the 5.2 V8 and 5.9 V8 (1998 only).

4.0L Inline 6 Cylinder – The 4.0L Inline 6 cylinder engine comes in at 232 cubic inches. Horse power is 190 at 4750RPM with torque being rated at 225ft-lbs at 4000RPM.

5.2L V8 Cylinder – The 5.2L V8 cylinder engine comes in at 318 cubic inches. Horse power is rated at 220hp and 285ft-lbs of torque (increased to 300ft-lbs in 95). I don’t have rpm numbers.

5.9L V8 Cylinder – The 5.9L V8 cylinder engine comes in at 360 cubic inches. Horse power is 245 at 4000RPM and 345 ft-lbs of torque at 3200RPM. The 5.9L V8 was only offered in the 1998 5.9 Limited models.

Axles

Dana 30 – The front axle used in the ZJ. It uses an open knuckle design with unit hub bearings, has a driver side drop pumpkin, 27 spline axle shafts a 7.5” ring gear and is standard rotation. The wheel bolt pattern is 5 on 4.5”. The width from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface is 60”. Gears were 3.55 ratio standard and models with the towing package got 3.73 ratio gears. The 5.9L Limited had factory 3.73 ratio gears.

Dana 35C – Standard rear axle used in the inline 6 ZJ. It has a 7 9/16” ring gear and pinion, uses 1 piece axle shafts and is c-clipped. The wheel bolt pattern is 5 on 4.5”. The width from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface is 60”. Gears were 3.55 ratio standard and models with the towing package got 3.73 ratio gears.

Dana 44A – The ‘A’ stands for aluminium and refers to the axle’s differential housing. It also uses 1 piece axle shafts, an 8.5” ring and pinion gear, 30 spline axle shafts and is c-clipped. It came standard in the V8 ZJs and the 5.9 Limited versions. The wheel bolt pattern is 5 on 4.5”. The width from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface is 60”. Gears were 3.55 ratio standard and models with the towing package got 3.73 ratio gears. The 5.9L Limited had factory 3.73 ratio gears.

Models

All models had driver’s side air bag and 4 wheel anti lock brakes standard. In 1996 a passenger air bag was introduced.

SE – The SE was offered from 1993 till 1996. It was a base model a manual transmission, cloth interior and full instermanation. The SE was only offered in 2WD.

Laredo – The Laredo had body cladding, different seats, power mirrors and cruise control. The automatic transmission was an options as was 4WD.

Limited – Top of the line model. Standard automatic transmission, leather seats, air conditioning, upgraded sound system and every power option.

5.9L Limited – This model was only available in 1998. This model came standard with a 5.9L V8 engine. All the Limited features where standard along with; hood louvers, a mesh grill insert and special 5 spoke wheels. Help the V8 exhale better was a low restriction exhaust system with a chrome tip and factory 3.73 ratio gearing in the axles.

Packages

Up Country – This package got you engine, transmission/transfer case and full tank skids. The springs provided approx 1” of lift. Front and rear tow hooks were standard.

Orvis – This package featured green paint with red and gold accent and two-tone green and champagne interior with red accents.

TSi – This package featured 16” alloy wheels with 225/70R16 tires, leather seats and a premium stereo.
    Anthony

96 Talon TSI AWD - Hey, at least it has a transfer case.
    03 Chevy Tracker - I hate IFS!

2. #2 Re: Stocker Specs 
    few changes:
    there is aftermarket for the 42re: I have a shift kit, upgraded clutches, and a few other things in it.
    4.0L = 242 ci

249 had same ratios as 242 231
    93-95 249's had no low lock
    96-98 249's had low lock and can safely remove front driveshaft to get 2wd

93-93.3ish was possible to get the AW4 transmission in the 4.0L's which was an 4spd electronically controlled automatic transmission and is very much like the tranmission in the Toyota Supra than can be modded to take 10 second passes. plus you can use this sweet shifter on the AW4
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

3. #3 Re: Stocker Specs 
    Thank you sir!
    Anthony

96 Talon TSI AWD - Hey, at least it has a transfer case.
    03 Chevy Tracker - I hate IFS!

4. #4 Re: Stocker Specs 
    I thought the 242 had an 50 50 split in FT. Isn't it just an open differntial with spider gears in the Xfer case?
    1997 Limited on 35's, 7" long arm and F/R d44's with alloy's, superoints and other stuff.

5. #5 Re: Stocker Specs 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    Awesome writeup.

One thing, though. I have a 93 ZJ Laredo 5.2L, and it has the D35C rear axle, so the 44a isn't on all V8's. Perhaps they were put on V8's after year 9X?

6. #6 Re: Stocker Specs 
    yeah your right I didn't catch that one 93-95 ALL ZJ's got the D35c, only 96-98 v8's got the 44a. and I think I read somewhere that overseas ZJ's could get the IRON 44
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    We're all insane here...

7. #7 Re: Stocker Specs 
    the AX-15 was an option until mid-year 95. 250 or so models were made throughout the 5 spd's run

8. #8 Re: Stocker Specs 
    Yeah South America for sure. The week after I put my 8.8 in, I could have got one for like $400. D'Oh!

Quote Originally Posted by DJJordache
    yeah your right I didn't catch that one 93-95 ALL ZJ's got the D35c, only 96-98 v8's got the 44a. and I think I read somewhere that overseas ZJ's could get the IRON 44
    03 Subaru WRX
    98 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
    98 Jeep ZJ
    95 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD

9. #9 Re: Stocker Specs 
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter
    the AX-15 was an option until mid-year 95. 250 or so models were made throughout the 5 spd's run
    You mean different versions, or is that a typo. Only 250 5 spd trucks?

10. #10 Re: Stocker Specs 
    Quote Originally Posted by 93_5spd
    You mean different versions, or is that a typo. Only 250 5 spd trucks?
    250 5 spd ZJs were built all in all

I

11. #11 Re: Stocker Specs 
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter
    250 5 spd ZJs were built all in all

I
    Where can you find those figures, if that's true, I need to get my rig documented as "x of 250"

12. #12 Re: Stocker Specs 
    What about the 4.7 that everone talks about so asically 44re or 46rh will bolt up and can be used in a 5-2 orvis with a dana 35c v8. Thanks guys for your help but the orvis also came with the up counry 1" lift and front and rear tow hooks.

13. #13 Re: Stocker Specs 
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginIslandCrawlin View Post
    What about the 4.7 that everone talks about so asically 44re or 46rh will bolt up and can be used in a 5-2 orvis with a dana 35c v8. Thanks guys for your help but the orvis also came with the up counry 1" lift and front and rear tow hooks.
    WTF the 4.7L was never in a ZJ, 44re never came with a d35c DUH!
    We're all insane here...

14. #14 Re: Stocker Specs 
    Another package was the Grand Wagoneer. It was available in 1993 only and had almost every option standard. I think I saw somewhere that there was 25,000 made.

Also 1993 had drums in rear for all models and they were optional on Limiteds in 1994.
    Ben
    1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ : V8, 3.5", 31" M/Ts, Swapped in D44a with Aussie

www.gatrailriders.com

15. #15 Re: Stocker Specs 
    Member MallCrawlin Supporter
    North Dakota, where many are cold, but few are frozen.
    Small correction: The SE model was, indeed available in 4WD. I only wish mine was the rarest of the rare 5-speeds! I saw one, once.
    I am of the Tau'Ri

16. #16 Re: Stocker Specs 
    Can anyone add some stock suspension measurements to this?

17. #17 Re: Stocker Specs 
    The class retard Lifetime Supporter ajmorell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redzj View Post
    I thought the 242 had an 50 50 split in FT. Isn't it just an open differntial with spider gears in the Xfer case?

No, it's not 50/50. I believe PT has the 50/50 split.

18. #18 Re: Stocker Specs 
    more corrections for you

My zj is a 98 leredo se 4x4 everything is about the same as limited but a few gadgets and the v8

19. #19 Re: Stocker Specs 
    The class retard Lifetime Supporter ajmorell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MUDDTRACKS View Post
    more corrections for you

My zj is a 98 leredo se 4x4 everything is about the same as limited but a few gadgets and the v8
    mine too, I have every option minus the v8 and leather that was available on the laredo se

20. #20 Re: Stocker Specs 
    if anyone has stock fender to hub measurements those could come in handy as well

for all of the different packages
    Matt
    December '09 ROTM
    93 ZJ 5.2 242J
    HP30-truetrac/D44a-Aussie 4.56
    6.5" Long Arms, 35"s

Thread Information