Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

8.8 Install in a ZJ - Page 7

Thread: 8.8 Install in a ZJ

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. #151 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Well so far it looks like ballistic is the way to go, pretty cheap, and I know they make quality products. Thanks for posting pictures and links, it helps out a lot. As far as these go, what is the purpose, do I need them, or can I go without?

I have these up top to hold the coil. 29.99

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...p_32-1478.html

2. #152 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    new to the forums, but this seems to be the site for heavy modding, I have a 8.8 sitting in my basement ready for brackets, I like the look of the balistics and seems to be alot cheeper then buying a MORE kit. I am having a local fab shop do all the measuring and welding, if i buy those brackets is that all i need for the UCA and LCA and spring perches?? is there anything special they are going to have to do them as in modding them to make my axle sit right? what are ya guys using for trac bar brackets?? ect.

Jason

3. #153 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Ok well, if your going to a long arm kit you will most likely have a truss which means a 4 link suspension, which also means the track bar is eliminated. If your not going to the long arm kit you will need UCA, LCA, Buckets, Shock mounts, and a track bar mount. Im sure you can find a track bar mount on ballistics. All the 4X4 shop will do is set your pinion at a certain degree, 11 seems to be popular, and then set your perches and mounts at 0 degrees, or right on top of your axle depending on how you look at it. They shouldn't have to do anything else to make it fit right as long as you order the right bracket, which i believe is for a 3.25" axle. Correct me if im wrong on any of this.

4. #154 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhunter View Post
    I got my tabs and buckets from Ruffstuff and I couldn't have been happier when it comes to customer service.

Things I got:
    Coil buckets (offset to alleviate spring bow)
    4 long tabs for the uppers
    4 medium tabs for the lowers
    have you had a chance to wheel your jeep with this setup yet? I've been thinking of doing the same thing but I don't know how big a deal it is to change the angles of the short arms, thanks man.
    Last edited by egg; 02-28-2008 at 02:18 AM. Reason: messed up on the quote
    4.5" front custom 3-link, dual triangulated 4 link, 35s, custom front bumper. upcoming: custom belly skid, rear bumper, rocker cutout/boatsides, half doors

5. #155 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Senior Member GSSW Planner
    MallCrawlin Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by grandmaster View Post

So DansZJ what brackets exactly did you buy from http://mad4wd.com/ all I can find is the control arm, bucket, and shock mount all in one.

Coil Spring - Control arm - Shock/Coilover Bracket System - Pair

$90.00

Is that what you orderd?

And I was thinking about the Claytons brackets but damn, can you get anything more expensive? Or is it worth the price in the long run? I myself can't weld worth a shit so Im paying someone to weld everything on and then I will do the install myself. And just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has helped me out.
    For some reason they don't have it on their site but he has them in stock ready to ship. Brown dropped my kit off today and I ordered it Friday.
    Here is a photo of their kit:
    Name:  tj-axle-brackets.jpg
Views: 1020
Size:  56.9 KB
    I liked that it had everything included and at $225 I thought it was a good deal.

I'm glad everyone is posting up the fabricators, part #s and combination of brackets they bought. AW's thread is constantly growing and makes for a great reference.

Now if I can only find someone to machine my 3/4" spacers.
    Last edited by DansZJ; 02-28-2008 at 03:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ
    I no longer have a GF, and I suddenly find myself with extra money, and extra time to go wheeling. IT KICKS ASS!
    Damn it. I bought a JK, so no more money for wheeling!

Dan
    Phx-93 ZJ

Specializing exclusively in *HIGH-END QUALITY* Parts and Accessories for Grand Cherokees, Cherokees, and Wranglers since 1999

6. #156 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Why not check out Claytons Axle Bracket kits...

All made from 1/4" Plate and all high clearence. Nothing hanging below axle tubes !
    Solid HP60 40 Spline 300M shafts
    Built 14B. 40 Spline 300M shafts

Quote Originally Posted by DankNesS
    MallCrawlin is like the mafia... if someone doesnt vouch for you then they just rip into you on every post

7. #157 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    have you had a chance to wheel your jeep with this setup yet? I've been thinking of doing the same thing but I don't know how big a deal it is to change the angles of the short arms, thanks man.
    Nothing serious, yet. I've played on a gravel pile or two just to watch the suspension cycle and haven't seen any problems arise. Really, the only change is how far away the control arm bolt holes are from center of the axle tube. Given the difference in tube diameter (3.25" on the 8.8, 2.62" on the 35), my lower mounts were a little bit longer by ~1/2" and the uppers were shorter by less than 1/8" compare to stock. I'm using adjustable control arms, so the angles can be fixed if need be. Just make sure to use an angle finder and measure a lot before welding it on fully.

Edit: I modified the shock mounts and had to put them inboard a little. Not the best setup and I might have to redo it. You can see in the pic bellow (zip ties are temporary until I find the right type of clips).

Last edited by greenhunter; 02-28-2008 at 12:32 PM. Reason: pic

8. #158 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 5.9 ANDY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AprilzWarrior View Post

All made from 1/4" Plate and all high clearence. Nothing hanging below axle tubes !

oooo, fancy schmancey bracks that dont hang, i likee those.
    proud Lance Corporal in the Unted States Marine Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post

This website is bad for the health of your vehicles, enjoy your stay

9. #159 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    So do they sell a kit like this one that doesnt have upper controll arm mounts? Cuz it would cut the cost down, and I really dont need them.

Also thought about calytons, but damn, expensive.

Im really leaning towards ballitstics though.

10. #160 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    The Oil Dude MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff

That's what is on my new 8.8 (still sitting in AW's shop, one day it will get installed )
    Your #1 Source for Amsoil Lubricants

Lube it or Loose it!

11. #161 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhunter View Post
    Nothing serious, yet. I've played on a gravel pile or two just to watch the suspension cycle and haven't seen any problems arise. Really, the only change is how far away the control arm bolt holes are from center of the axle tube. Given the difference in tube diameter (3.25" on the 8.8, 2.62" on the 35), my lower mounts were a little bit longer by ~1/2" and the uppers were shorter by less than 1/8" compare to stock. I'm using adjustable control arms, so the angles can be fixed if need be. Just make sure to use an angle finder and measure a lot before welding it on fully.

Edit: I modified the shock mounts and had to put them inboard a little. Not the best setup and I might have to redo it. You can see in the pic bellow (zip ties are temporary until I find the right type of clips).

Thanks for the input dude! thats exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm glad someone else had the same idea as me and has gone through with it. I'm getting all pumped for this wheelin season, no more turdy5!
    4.5" front custom 3-link, dual triangulated 4 link, 35s, custom front bumper. upcoming: custom belly skid, rear bumper, rocker cutout/boatsides, half doors

12. #162 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Anyone have any trouble re-installing the stock ZJ sway bar on an 8.8? If it's truly 1.25" narrower, is there room between the coil bucket and the brake backing plate for a sway bar bracket?
    96 ZJ.
    4.0, 42RE, NV242, stock 30/35
    5" LA, 33s
    MVC front bumper serial number 001,
    ...big dreams

13. #163 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    I dont run a rear sway bar right now and have had no trouble. With how much lift you are at you are probably fine without one. I haven't installed my 8.8 yet so I cant help ya there.

14. #164 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenslats View Post
    Anyone have any trouble re-installing the stock ZJ sway bar on an 8.8? If it's truly 1.25" narrower, is there room between the coil bucket and the brake backing plate for a sway bar bracket?

If you go to page ONE, and check out the pics, you can see the factory sway bar attached to my old 8.8 No problems.

AW

MallCrawlin is like the mafia... if someone doesnt vouch for you then they just rip into you on every post

15. #165 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    If you go to page ONE, and check out the pics, you can see the factory sway bar attached to my old 8.8 No problems.

AW

Yeah, I stared and squinted at your pics for several minutes. I couldn't tell for sure. I guess 5/8ths each side isn't all that much.
    96 ZJ.
    4.0, 42RE, NV242, stock 30/35
    5" LA, 33s
    MVC front bumper serial number 001,
    ...big dreams

16. #166 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    I just got around to seeing your 8.8 upgrade........great job!! I want to do the same upgrade in TJ, but I had a few concerns (actually I just posted a thread on this same topic which I am sure I will get bitched at for) anyway, where did you get your axle brackets for the 8.8 at? Also, how did you decide on the 11 degree pinion angle? Thanks for any input.

17. #167 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepinchiro View Post
    I just got around to seeing your 8.8 upgrade........great job!! I want to do the same upgrade in TJ, but I had a few concerns (actually I just posted a thread on this same topic which I am sure I will get bitched at for) anyway, where did you get your axle brackets for the 8.8 at? Also, how did you decide on the 11 degree pinion angle? Thanks for any input.

Off the D35 donor.

Pinion angle is determined by the type of drive shaft you have. See Tom Woods website.

18. #168 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Hey AprilzWarrior, I have Grand that I am swaping a 8.8 and I was wondering that if I had to get wheelspacer even with my rims that are 15-8s with about 4" backspacing? All the input would be great.

19. #169 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Dirtdiver, my wheels have 4" backspacing as well but it's definitely nice to have the spacers there since the 8.8 is 5/8" narrower on each side.

20. #170 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    Dirtdiver, my wheels have 4" backspacing as well but it's definitely nice to have the spacers there since the 8.8 is 5/8" narrower on each side.
    Now is it needed or is it an absolute must.

21. #171 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Dont have my 8.8 in yet, but i dont think they are NEEDED. you might run into some rubbing issues when your suspension articulates, but if it were me i would just spent the 90 bucks and get some spacers. Hell you could probably find some used ones if you looked hard enough, but who knows.

22. #172 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    I hate spacers.... I have em.... i dont run themmm ... i need to sell them

not worth it... and you really dont notice the width diff unless i point it out
    95 ZJ/ 5.2 / HD Dana 44 front / 14b rear / 5.5" CLAYTONS / 38'' Grooved TSL's / CLAYTONS belly skid / NP231 w/sye

23. #173 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Quote Originally Posted by zj95 View Post
    I hate spacers.... I have em.... i dont run themmm ... i need to sell them

not worth it... and you really dont notice the width diff unless i point it out

Well my tires would rub without the spacers. To each his own.

24. #174 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    How much you looking to get for them

25. #175 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Its not that I dont wnat them I'm just looking if I really need them. I could spend the money on something else.

Thread Information