Thread: My ghetto fab half doors

1. #1 My ghetto fab half doors 
    Here is my attempt at a set of half doors. I like the position of the top rail for an arm rest (I'm kind of tall), so just sawzalled the middle out, cut off the glass frame and mirror, voila! I'm still going to paint them flat black, trim the cut edges with door edging, and replace the window rub strips on the top "rail" for cushion. A little flexy, but it's what I was looking for. Now, onto driver's side...........
    Attached Images    
    '98 ZJ 4.0 | 4.5"| the usual goodies
    '08 F-350 6.8 | the tow rig
    http://zjguy721.fototime.com/MyPictures
    http://www.glfwda.org
    http://www.greatlakes4x4.com

2. #2 Re: My ghetto fab half doors 
    you gonna put some sheet metal in there ?????
    95 Zj on 32s

3. #3 Re: My ghetto fab half doors 
    Quote Originally Posted by cashflowdub View Post
    you gonna put some sheet metal in there ?????
    FOOK that, cover the hole with plexiglass would be sweet!
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

4. #4 Re: My ghetto fab half doors 
    I hope to god those are a joke!

EDIT: decided I needed to explain myself.

They are unsafe, the point of a halfdoor is to get better visablity while still getting some protection. Your door actually create's more danger. You have found a way to make a rather small are(a door) have an extremely large are of unprotected sharp edge's. you've also taken out all of it's ability to absorb a impact. If something makes it through the gapping hole it will hurt you, if it hits any part of the door it will hit you and the door is sure to also injure you with it's sharp edge's(even if you put fender/door trim on it once there's a impact it will bow and come off about the time it hit's your bare arm.) etc,etc,
    Last edited by H3RESQ; 07-21-2007 at 05:41 PM.

5. #5 Re: My ghetto fab half doors 
    I think it's a great idea. You need to fill the hole with Lexan to keep the visibility but still have some protection. It's amazingly tough. I nailed a rock with one of my skins. No damage to the lexan, but it bent the .120 wall DOM behind it.

Home Depot and Lowes both carry it. Make sure you get the most expensive kind- the other stuff is brittle and a waste of money.

6. #6 Re: My ghetto fab half doors 
    I hate to start an argument but......There's a big diffrence between bolting Lexan to a tube with welded mount brackets and mounting lexan to sheetmetal.(that's all that's left at the top of his door.)

Don't get me wrong with some tube work added it would be a diffrent story, but he's yet to mention any thoughts of that. I stick with my opinion unless he decide's to reinforce the doors.

Keep in mind there's also a big diff between hitting a large area of lexan and hitting lexan that's sitting right on tubing. (when you hit the lexan it wasn't in a bare spot, you had to have hit directly against where the tubing was behind it.

7. #7 Re: My ghetto fab half doors 
    First and foremost, I have no idea on the strength issue, with that stated.

I think it looks good and has a good premise. Although I must agree that lexan would be a wise choice to cover the hole and re-inforcing it wouldn't hurt either. Something like an X pattern would be great with 1 1/4" O.D. boxed steel.

Dave
    1998 5.9, 5.5" Front/ 4.5" Rear (RE), 33/12.50's Trxus MT's, ARB Bumper w/Warn 9500HS, 231HD...SOLD...Stupid Divorce!!

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_driver View Post
    start giving teachers guns... or tazers.... or clubs or just a 2x4 with a nail in it

8. #8 Re: My ghetto fab half doors 
    BANNED Lifetime Supporter CurtP's Avatar
    I guess I don't get it. I'm on the same page as H3RESQ. With those doors the way they are, I think you'd be better off with no doors at all.

9. #9 Re: My ghetto fab half doors 
    Those are half of half doors. I do like the concept of keepin the hinges and latch. Maybe you could run some sheet metal,like 20 ga.around the cutout and lose the top part,then run DOM tube across the top part to form your safety rail/armrest.
    97ZJ 4"lift 32"KO's
    03WJ stock w/ upgraded injectors
    02 Express 3500 cutaway with utility box. (tool shed on wheels)
    80 FLHS
    77 XLH
    68 BSA 650L= '60s chopper
    Baaa aaa aaa, means NO!

10. #10 Re: My ghetto fab half doors 
    you should just start over
    95 Zj on 32s

11. #11 Re: My ghetto fab half doors 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by CurtP View Post
    I guess I don't get it. I'm on the same page as H3RESQ. With those doors the way they are, I think you'd be better off with no doors at all.
    Or just roll down the window???

12. #12 Re: My ghetto fab half doors 
    Bolt in some Plexiglass. Screw the haters. Oh and get some edge trim to cover that 12 foot razorblade you just made...
    "Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to the countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process. The responsibility of the United States in this conflict is to eliminate weapons of mass destruction, to minimize the danger to our troops and to diminish the suffering of the Iraqi peole." - Nancy Pelosi circa 1998

And your rebuttal Ms. Communist bitch?

13. #13 Re: My ghetto fab half doors 
    OK, to reply (I think I'll get it all in here):

I forgot to mention one big thing, these are ONLY going to be used at the sand dunes. I'll leave the original ones on for any other wheeling. I realize, and mentioned, that they are weak and flexy, and provide no protection whatsoever from lateral impact. I would never take these anywhere seriously offroading. BTW, there is a reinforcement under the upper edge, it is cut in half lenthwise, and provides MINIMAL reinforcement. I could have cut around the one large horizontal reinforcement, leaving it there, and bolting the lexan to that for support (which I considered, and was the beginning). But then I figured I would just use these for the sand, and if I ever wanted a true tube door for real wheeling, I would have them fabbed correctly.

Oh, and I did mention also that I was putting edging around all the cut edges. I'll be trying them out this week up at Silver Lake, we'll see how it goes.
    '98 ZJ 4.0 | 4.5"| the usual goodies
    '08 F-350 6.8 | the tow rig
    http://zjguy721.fototime.com/MyPictures
    http://www.glfwda.org
    http://www.greatlakes4x4.com

14. #14 Re: My ghetto fab half doors 
    Quote Originally Posted by H3RESQ View Post
    Keep in mind there's also a big diff between hitting a large area of lexan and hitting lexan that's sitting right on tubing. (when you hit the lexan it wasn't in a bare spot, you had to have hit directly against where the tubing was behind it.
    Good point.

But I've hit them more than once, haha.. They have been knocked and smacked in both supported and unsupported areas. Dragged them and pinballed them off branches, rocks, and even the ground. They keep coming back for more. The stuff is stronger than you think.

What's the big deal? The factory doors offer little structural support. If it's a safety issue, follow the lead of the 218949124 wrangler and land cruiser guys and keep your limbs inside the vehicle.
    Last edited by ATL ZJ; 07-22-2007 at 11:57 AM.

15. #15 Re: My ghetto fab half doors 
    Pinch Yo Sack Pimp MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    lexan is bullet proof. and flexible as fawk.

bolt it in and be done with it.
    EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer
    EPIC POLYMER RACING ULTRA 4 Buggy Build WJ Grand Cherokee

Thread Information