Thread: Bullet Proof Steering

1. #1 Bullet Proof Steering 
    Anybody tried one of these kits for a D30. Steering is getting a little sloppy and I'm thinking since I need to tighten up the parts with HD ones, why not go to high steer while I'm at it. I have bent 2 stock drag links while wheeling, so it seem to make sense. Prices look good, but does anybody have any experience with these kits?

http://www.bulletproofsteering.com/
    99 GC, 4.7, 6" Clayton's LA, 315/75/R16's, FIPK, 3 inch Kolak exhaust, VIAIR 450 OBA, front ARB with Warn HS9500, Kevin's Sliderz, full skids, SURCO, Hi-Lift, Xenon's with Kolak harness, more to follow.

2. #2 Re: Bullet Proof Steering 
    BANNED Lifetime Supporter CurtP's Avatar
    What high-steer? They don't have high-steer that I could find. All I saw was cross-over and flip.

Seriously - how many times can this question be asked? Off to the n00b section you go...

Oh shit. I'm not a mod. I can't move it

3. #3 Re: Bullet Proof Steering 
    Yeah, thanks... Do you have any experience with the bullet proof steering kit?
    99 GC, 4.7, 6" Clayton's LA, 315/75/R16's, FIPK, 3 inch Kolak exhaust, VIAIR 450 OBA, front ARB with Warn HS9500, Kevin's Sliderz, full skids, SURCO, Hi-Lift, Xenon's with Kolak harness, more to follow.

4. #4 Re: Bullet Proof Steering 
    looks stupid... crappy website, crappy steering, tie rod and draglink both mounted single sheer on the same mount. just go with ORO steering
    This person should be taken as seriously as a heart attack while piloting a zeppelin over a bacon factory, which is the most serious of heart attacks, because if that zeppelin crashes into that bacon factory all of us will be without bacon and that simply will not do.

5. #5 Re: Bullet Proof Steering 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lbrty9 View Post
    Yeah, thanks... Do you have any experience with the bullet proof steering kit?
    If you don't even know what high-steer is, then why are you even here? You obviously didn't use the search button here since it was just discussed the other day. Would you even listen anyway? Doubtful.

Here ya go: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=high+steer

6. #6 Re: Bullet Proof Steering 
    The Oil Dude MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian_driver View Post
    crappy website, crappy steering, tie rod and draglink both mounted single sheer on the same mount.
    Damn and I thought my website needed some work.
    Your #1 Source for Amsoil Lubricants

Lube it or Loose it!

7. #7 Re: Bullet Proof Steering 
    So you've got nothing better to worry about than my calling it high steer?

OK, so it's technically a tie rod over knuckle kit (http://www.bulletproofsteering.com/steeringoption.html). There, feel better now?

I'll admit that I don't spend my life here, so I didn't see the recent thread, but I did use the search.

Why am I here??? I had hoped for somebody with some experience with these kits to offer some technical advice, but perhaps that's a stretch...

8. #8 Re: Bullet Proof Steering 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    GSSW Planner
    Damn guys- WTF???

The guy asks if anyone has experience with a specific company and you start flaming? WTF. Interesting that you scream Noob! Use the search!!! Well, did you search for this "bulletproofsteering.com" on MC before you started flaming? No info on it. Did you even read his question?

Speaking of searching, took me about 2.5 seconds to find the "high steer" kit on their site (despite the horrible design)- they just call it over knuckle. Maybe not quite the same but obviously what he was asking about.

9. #9 Re: Bullet Proof Steering 
    so just anothe stupid question what makes it a horrible design i still think its a upgrade from the Rustys junk i have now

10. #10 Re: Bullet Proof Steering 
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian_driver View Post
    looks stupid... crappy website, crappy steering, tie rod and draglink both mounted single sheer on the same mount. just go with ORO steering
    ORO UT Steering won't work, according to them, since the WJ already has cross-over steering.

11. #11 Re: Bullet Proof Steering 
    I don't like the design.
    Why not get some DOM tube and make some stronger steering links all while keep your stock TREs.

Plus if your truck is a DD, Heims are not the best idea for steering. Plus they make me illegal in your county/state.
    Anthony

96 Talon TSI AWD - Hey, at least it has a transfer case.
    03 Chevy Tracker - I hate IFS!

12. #12 Re: Bullet Proof Steering 
    Using really thick tubing doesn't make up for a poor design. If I didn't know for DAMN SURE that those heims were quality, there's no way I would ever buy it. And single shear on just about anything is a terrible idea.

Just go Currie. It's the same price, and a much better designed system, even IF it is under the knuckle.
    Poetry in commotion.

13. #13 Re: Bullet Proof Steering 
    Not trying to argue with anybody, but aren't tie rod ends single sheer? Maybe I'm just confused on that one. For a DD I wouldn't even consider heims in any kind of steering, unless it was very high quality heim in a good design and safety washers were used (or double sheer)... even then a good tie rod end would most likely outlast any heim joint in that application.
    re: testy
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady
    scrotum.

14. #14 Re: Bullet Proof Steering 
    Quote Originally Posted by FearTheDentist View Post
    Damn guys- WTF???

The guy asks if anyone has experience with a specific company and you start flaming? WTF. Interesting that you scream Noob! Use the search!!! Well, did you search for this "bulletproofsteering.com" on MC before you started flaming? No info on it. Did you even read his question?

Speaking of searching, took me about 2.5 seconds to find the "high steer" kit on their site (despite the horrible design)- they just call it over knuckle. Maybe not quite the same but obviously what he was asking about.
    This thread belongs in the Newb section (actually, it needs to be deleted and the OP slapped). This shit has been covered to death and either searching or browsing through the suspension & steering forum would have covered it. It doesn't matter who makes it - it's the same shitty design that many retards try to sell from their garage. If nothing else, a quick search would have revealed what the popular choice would be for a D30. A flip is a flip, not a high-steer.

15. #15 Re: Bullet Proof Steering 
    For upgrading the WJ steering I always liked JKS' kit. Price is right, but really its only beefing it up. No OTK.
    Solid HP60 40 Spline 300M shafts
    Built 14B. 40 Spline 300M shafts

Quote Originally Posted by DankNesS
    MallCrawlin is like the mafia... if someone doesnt vouch for you then they just rip into you on every post

16. #16 Re: Bullet Proof Steering 
    i still say go with some 1 1/2" DOM , tap the ends for some "1 ton chevy" tie rod ends(as they call them) , ream the knuckles and pitman arm and be done with it, if there were someone locally that could ream and tap your shit it would be cheaper and stronger than most of what you buy pre made, thats what i run and have had no problems with it in over a year
    99 WJ, D60/14B, 5.38s, 203/D300, 39.5"s, H1s

It was a jeep thing, but that shit broke

17. #17 Re: Bullet Proof Steering 
    Quote Originally Posted by CurtP View Post
    This thread belongs in the Newb section (actually, it needs to be deleted and the OP slapped). This shit has been covered to death and either searching or browsing through the suspension & steering forum would have covered it. It doesn't matter who makes it - it's the same shitty design that many retards try to sell from their garage. If nothing else, a quick search would have revealed what the popular choice would be for a D30. A flip is a flip, not a high-steer.
    I did try the search. How bout some links then? I couldn't find anything on Bullet Proof Steering.

What has happened to MC? I recall when it was started up, it seemed like folks were happy to help. Now it seems like just another warmed over JU...

18. #18 Re: Bullet Proof Steering 
    Don't worry, CurtP is a dick to everyone.
    jdhutton---not sure why you wanna go fast in a lifted jeep. its kinda like strapping a jet pack to a retard. just doesnt make sence.

19. #19 Re: Bullet Proof Steering 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Lbrty9 View Post
    I did try the search. How bout some links then? I couldn't find anything on Bullet Proof Steering.

What has happened to MC? I recall when it was started up, it seemed like folks were happy to help. Now it seems like just another warmed over JU...
    I don't know of anyone here that's run it for sure, but it's been discussed in several other threads with titles about other steering options, I don't think it'll be on the first page of results.

Beyond that; when your attitude sucks, you're going to get nothing but sucky responses.

20. #20 Re: Bullet Proof Steering 
    Point taken.

21. #21 Re: Bullet Proof Steering 
    Quote Originally Posted by CurtP View Post

You belong in the newb section!!!!!!

22. #22 Re: Bullet Proof Steering 
    Would that system even work on a WJ? I don't think you'd have enough room in between the lower knuckle and the top knuckle is, I guess you could shop the top one off, but I don't really like that design.

I'd rather do the tie rod/draglink flip thats in the FAQ.

Word CurtP is a vendor ?
    Nick
    03 WJ 4.7 242HD Kolak/IRO 5" Clayton LA's
    35" BFGoodrich KM2

sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
    www.carolinadriveline.com
    www.ironrockoffroad.com
    kolak@aol.com

Thread Information