Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

8.8 Install in a ZJ - Page 8

Thread: 8.8 Install in a ZJ

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. #176 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    AW, I have a question about the brakets on your build. My bracket kit is from RE and there for a TJ, and you have yours from a d35, have you needed to reinforce them or the welds bust. I ask this cuz my buddie has tried to fit those RE upper and lower CA brackets and there haked to shit so I am thinking of just using the ones from my D35. Any suggestions.
    Last edited by Dirtdiver; 03-19-2008 at 12:52 AM.

2. #177 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    I dont use any spacers on my heep.... it's close but doesn't rub. with 15x8 wheels and 4" BS
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

3. #178 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtdiver View Post
    AW, I have a question about the brakets on your build. My bracket kit is from RE and there for a TJ, and you have yours from a d35, have you needed to reinforce them or the welds bust. I ask this cuz my buddie has tried to fit those RE upper and lower CA brackets and there haked to shit so I am thinking of just using the ones from my D35. Any suggestions.

If you look at all my old pics you can see that I added steel to most all of them for more strength, ie to keep from just twisting a ripping above my welds.

If you have the funds, call ClaytonOffroad and pick up a rear axle bracket kit. This moves your lower control arms up and level with the axle tubes rather than hanging below the tubes. Same goes for the shock mounts.
    Solid HP60 40 Spline 300M shafts
    Built 14B. 40 Spline 300M shafts

Quote Originally Posted by DankNesS
    MallCrawlin is like the mafia... if someone doesnt vouch for you then they just rip into you on every post

4. #179 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AprilzWarrior View Post
    Why not check out Claytons Axle Bracket kits...

All made from 1/4" Plate and all high clearence. Nothing hanging below axle tubes !
    I'm planning on this for mine, but I noticed on the website that the high clearance bracket kit has triangulated shock mounting brackets. Does that mean that it also comes with the crossmember for the upper shock mounts, or would that need to be fabbed? I was under the impression that it just relocated the stock shock mounts?

EDIT: Copy/pasted from Clayton's website:
    This is a complete replacement rear axle bracket kit. It can be used on either a new axle that is being installed or simply a replacement for your current brackets. The kit offers an innovative spring locking plate, reinforced high clearance LCA mounts and triangulated shock mouting brackets.
    Last edited by SirFuego; 03-28-2008 at 11:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

5. #180 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Senior Member GSSW Planner
    MallCrawlin Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    I'm planning on this for mine, but I noticed on the website that the high clearance bracket kit has triangulated shock mounting brackets. Does that mean that it also comes with the crossmember for the upper shock mounts, or would that need to be fabbed? I was under the impression that it just relocated the stock shock mounts?

EDIT: Copy/pasted from Clayton's website:
    Hey Fuego,
    I really like their brackets for the reason that AW mentions. I was ready to buy them but I talked to Adam over at Clayton's and he explained that there is a cross member that gets installed to the frame and relocates the upper shock mounts. This is interferes with the track bar, so it wouldn't work with stock setup/short arms.
    Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ
    I no longer have a GF, and I suddenly find myself with extra money, and extra time to go wheeling. IT KICKS ASS!
    Damn it. I bought a JK, so no more money for wheeling!

Dan
    Phx-93 ZJ

Specializing exclusively in *HIGH-END QUALITY* Parts and Accessories for Grand Cherokees, Cherokees, and Wranglers since 1999

6. #181 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Quote Originally Posted by DansZJ View Post
    Hey Fuego,
    I really like their brackets for the reason that AW mentions. I was ready to buy them but I talked to Adam over at Clayton's and he explained that there is a cross member that gets installed to the frame and relocates the upper shock mounts. This is interferes with the track bar, so it wouldn't work with stock setup/short arms.
    Yeah that's not an issue since I'm going with Clayton's 4 link anyways. I didn't realize it had triangulated shock mounts until today. Definitely happy about this since the thought of triangulating them crossed my mind anyways....

Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by SirFuego; 03-29-2008 at 02:11 AM.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

7. #182 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    I wouldn't reuse the original D35 mounts. I reused the original D30 mounts on my D44 and regretted it later. The right side mount snapped off the axle while crawling around in Green Day.

The weld didn't snap, the mount actually broke.

Make or buy new ones.
    1998 5.9er, 6" Claytons Long arm, D30(elocker), Rubi D44 rear, TJ Addco rear sway bar, WJ knuckles/brakes, 4.10s, 33s, 9.5ti

'93 ZJ LTD, 5.2L, Claytons Longarm, 8" lift D44 front(w/elocker), D60 rear(welded), 37" IROKS, 5.38s, 9.5ti<scrapped>

8. #183 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Just need to reuse the coilbuckets and the uppercontrolarm and tracbar mount, the rest I think I will fab myself.

9. #184 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Don't cheap out, spend the like...50 bucks on brackets it would take.

ballistic fab. beef.
    95 Rubicon ZJ-60/14b-40" LTBs on 17" ORO beadlocks-full hydro
    Uber one Ton ZJ Tech
    PSC Full Hydro Tech for ZJ
    Crawler Ready Motor Mount Install

10. #185 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    I still run the d35 mounts on the 8.8 under my buggy and they work fine.

But I don't wheel very hard.

11. #186 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    So what are you guys doing for diff breathers on the 8.8? I was pulling mine last night to do the gears and notice there's no breather at all on the diff housing anywhere. I seem to remember there being a breather on the tube right about where the truss went that I might have welded shut, but figured it wouldn't have done much good there anyways. Right now I'm planning on just drilling a hole through the thinnest part of the housing I can find (on the top obviously) and hooking a hose up to it.

12. #187 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Member Lifetime Supporter Varkyl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    So what are you guys doing for diff breathers on the 8.8? I was pulling mine last night to do the gears and notice there's no breather at all on the diff housing anywhere. I seem to remember there being a breather on the tube right about where the truss went that I might have welded shut, but figured it wouldn't have done much good there anyways. Right now I'm planning on just drilling a hole through the thinnest part of the housing I can find (on the top obviously) and hooking a hose up to it.
    If your going to do this, drill the hole off to the side so you don't end up getting oil flung into the breather hole. As that could drag contaminants into the lube.
    '96 ZJ slightly modded with more in the works (5.3L HP44 and SF 14b)
    '03 WJ Limited 4.7HO - just starting the journey

13. #188 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    I thought I was being smart and I clocked it forward before (did it a little to much) I welded the truss on but it came back to bite me in the ass when I went to bolt it up. but I managed to still make it work by extending the arms to aim everything correctly but I still have the stock dif breather on mine
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

14. #189 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    What about drilling and taping on the front side of the axle where the dif fliuid filler bolt on the housing near the drive line? My tech lingo sucks I know.

15. #190 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    So what are you guys doing for diff breathers on the 8.8?
    clayton's truss covers the 8.8 oem vent loco so i welded the threaded hole closed - welded on my truss - tapped a new hole and moved the oem plug to this spot - works fine

95 ZJ | Clayton 6" | 8.8 | HP30 | 4.88s | Aussie F/R | 242 SYE | 35 MTZs

Paragon ♠ Tellico ◊ Big Dogs ♣ Rausch Creek ♥ Moab ♠ Rubicon

16. #191 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    this question was probably answered in this thread, but i couldnt find it by browsing through.

is there a primary year/model explorer to look for that comes with 3.73's and disks? im bitching out and trying to do as minimal work as possible.

the junkyard i go to doesnt let you browse, you have to go there with a specific car youre looking for and they walk you to the car.

17. #192 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    MallCrawlin Vendor
    car-part.com - I used it to find my 8.8. If they don't list your junk yards, you can still use it to see which models have what options.
    I got my 8.8 from a 97 Explorer. Had disks, factory LSD, and 3.73's.

If you do a search here on MC, someone recently posted a good link with all the 8.8 tag codes.
    I no longer have a GF, and I suddenly find myself with extra money, and extra time to go wheeling. IT KICKS ASS!

Dan
    Phx-93 ZJ

Specializing exclusively in *HIGH-END QUALITY* Parts and Accessories for Grand Cherokees, Cherokees, and Wranglers since 1999

18. #193 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    wow! great site, thanks for the link.

19. #194 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    So stupid me didn't know until today that rear axle are sealed at the flange, not on the pumpkin like front axles. So I'll probably just drill through the tube somewhere.

20. #195 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Member Lifetime Supporter Varkyl's Avatar
    So stupid me didn't know until today that rear axle are sealed at the flange, not on the pumpkin like front axles. So I'll probably just drill through the tube somewhere.
    Learn something new everyday huh?
    '96 ZJ slightly modded with more in the works (5.3L HP44 and SF 14b)
    '03 WJ Limited 4.7HO - just starting the journey

21. #196 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    So I'm using the ballistic brackets. The coil bucket is flat. Do I need something molded so the coil stays in place or will the plate and a bolt work?
    Back on page 3 or so, someone was talking about claytons and there was this
    "on top of that you mount a UHMW (white plastic) disk that has the coil profile milled into it and a center thru hole"

Do I need something like that?

22. #197 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    MallCrawlin Vendor
    I'm using the MORE style brackets with the flat spring pad on the axle as well. The springs shift on the pad, but do not fall out/off with the retaining washer and bolt. I'd like to get a spring pad like the Claytons, but I'll probably make a new retainer that holds the spring in place using the supplied bolt/washer.

Dan
    Phx-93 ZJ

23. #198 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Quote Originally Posted by DansZJ View Post
    Hey Fuego,
    Just to validate this, I received my 8.8 brackets from Clayton's a few days ago and it did indeed come with the upper and lower mounts for triangulated shocks. Very high quality brackets.

Perhaps the upper shock mount piece is part of the reason Clayton's is more expensive than other options?
    Robot

24. #199 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    I would PM Maxx, he did the swap using ballistics. He could probably help ya out.

25. #200 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    the links are a bit outdated on the origional write up. does anyone know where i can find the 5/8" spacers?

Thread Information