Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
8.8 Install in a ZJ - Page 11

Thread: 8.8 Install in a ZJ

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
  1. #251 Re: 8.8 Install in a ZJ 
    Well, here's my contribution.
    I swapped an 8.8 under my ZJ during my build.
    Just when I decided it'd be an 8.8 that I want IRO presented their bracket kit.
    I know it's much more cool to make all the brackets yourself, and I do have both material and skills, but I decided to save me some time, mostly because I was in the middle of a bigger build.

Here's my conversion:

Bracket kit from IRO

Axle, sand blasted, primed and stripped of all old brackets.
    It's a Ford 8.8 from a 97' Explorer with rear disc brakes.

I've welded tubes to the housing using preheating, 7018 low hydrogen rod and slow cooling under fiberglass blanket.

Then I've welded all the brackets. Most important thing here is to set that pinion angle to accomodate your current( or planned) lift so the spring wont look like banans afterwads.
    I've set mine to 10 degrees.

and measure all angles more than one time

All done and ready for paint

It's a really nice upgrade no more worries about broken driveshafts
    ZJ '93 5.2 9.5"LA, 8.8 rear, D30 HP trussed, RCV orange dome shafts, ARB f&r, 37" Iroks, hydroassist, IRO stuff, WJ Knuckle mod, OBA(ac), more to come
    WJ '01 4.7 untouched (yet)
    http://www.diman.se/gallery/albums/u...0001/zj-wj.jpg

2. #252 Re: 8.8 Install in a ZJ 
    I'm guess this is a new part because it hasn't been mentioned before

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-576...bolt-yoke.html

Should go right on without having to use an adapter flange or conversion u joints correct?
    A little pricey but I think I may spring for one, doing all this work on mine right now I'd rather just do it right while I've got everything apart and when I put it in I can forget about it

I bought g2 gears (4.56's, will be running 35's here shortly) and install kit today. I assume the above flange is 30 spline (pinion), it doesn't mention it anywhere.

I plan on pushing the axle back 1-1.5" to accommodate the 35's, is anyone having any clearance issues with this axle being pushed back and the stock tank skid?

And I'm being a cheap ass with this (cutting all my brackets out tomorrow, 1/4" and a bunch of oxy/acy to be used ), the 88 I pulled has 4.10's LSD. I don't plan on putting a locker or anything in right now due to funds and it'll probably be awhile until I do. Is it worth messing with adding extra clutches in it to help tighten it up? This is my DD so I can't have it locked up like a spool, but I wouldn't mind tightening it up some if it's cheap and not insanely hard
    Last edited by dyn0mitemat; 01-29-2012 at 12:18 AM.
    98 ZJ - Build hd44/88, 35s, long armed, locked, blah blah blah...
    Build thread

3. #253 Re: 8.8 Install in a ZJ 
    Recently did the swap on my WJ, I know it's the zj thread but I thought I'd post it in case someone with a wj searches and ends up here. A sorry if the pics are giant.

Junkyard-sourced from 2001 Explorer was chosen to replace my bent d44a.
    High-clearance brackets and 4 link truss from Clayton off road

Had to relocate the muffler a little to clear the driveshaft(pic is before it was moved forward)

Width with 2" spacers

The bracket kit moved the axle back ~1.5", even with the links as short as the can get it's pretty tight with the gas tank in stock location. Really happy with the results though
    Last edited by TN_WJ; 01-29-2012 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Revised
    '99 WJ 4.0, 44/8.8, 35's, body damage

4. #254 Re: 8.8 Install in a ZJ 
    Which wheel studs were you guys running to run the spacers? Summit only lists one set of studs (thats I can find) and they're stock length
    Build thread

5. #255 Re: 8.8 Install in a ZJ 
    Stock studs. I'm running 1.25" spacers, and cut off the unthreaded portion of each stock studs, which was probably about 1/3". Cutting off the unthreaded tip allowed me to run the spacers with no clearancing issues.

Thread a nut on the stud first, just in case the threads get gummed up from the grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek33
    Its a jeep, it doesn't have to make sense.

6. #256 Re: 8.8 Install in a ZJ 
    I need the studs to go through the spacers and out of the wheels to put the lug nuts on. I hear everyone talking about getting arp studs but don't see any other than stock length on their site

I'm assuming you're talking about spacers that have their own studs pressed in, I'm making a set of spacers that just go in between the wheel and rotor
    Build thread

7. #257 Re: 8.8 Install in a ZJ 
    DON'T do it that way, with longer studs and non bolt on spacer your asking for trouble, just do it right the first time and run bolt on spacers with pressed in studs in the spacers, ask me how I know.
    Last edited by cowboy63b; 03-26-2012 at 11:25 PM.
    No longer a JeepTech01 fan.

Just boobs.

And biggoofy.

And ELLLLLIOTTTTT................I think..........Yup and ELLLLLIOTTTTT.

8. #258 Re: 8.8 Install in a ZJ 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy63b View Post
    Don't do it that way, with longer studs and non bolt on spacer your asking for trouble, just so it right the first time and run bolt on spacers with pressed in studs in the spacers, ask me how I know.
    This.

9. #259 Re: 8.8 Install in a ZJ 
    Is finding a free.99 8.8 with drums going to be to costly to convert to disc's?

Or is it going to be possible to engineer the 44HD disc set up to the 8.8?
    1998 GC 5.9 Special Ed. RE 4.5" SF SA, Mickey T's 33x12.50 on ProComp 15x10's, Protofab PreRunner bumper, 10k Winch, 242TC swap

Current Issues: Destroyed front ring and pinion. Currently redneck yard art as I wait on taxes to fix the front end and install an 8.8 in the rear...
    Future upgrades: Rear bumper, rockers, skids...and on, and on, and on...

10. #260 Re: 8.8 Install in a ZJ 
    I don't believe so but if you're that worried about it sell it and run down to pick and pull and get one with disk brakes. They are only like $100 bucks or so there.
    The Steel City ZJ: Murdered Out with Steelers, Steelers, and more Steelers

www.militaryjeepers.com

97 ZJ 4.0, 5.5", Clayton's, Serious Off Road Products 1 Ton Steering, 242, 35" MT/R's with Kevlar

11. #261 Re: 8.8 Install in a ZJ 
    DON'T do it that way, with longer studs and non bolt on spacer your asking for trouble, just do it right the first time and run bolt on spacers with pressed in studs in the spacers, ask me how I know.
    I tried looking around but couldn't find anything, I keep hearing this, but haven't heard anyone explain why its better to run something like spidertrax spacers opposed to what I'm talking about doing. I can't see there being any more stress on the studs one way or another, and to me, it seems like there's just twice as many parts to strip out or break on the spidertrax type.

I'm not saying your wrong on this, as like I said, I keep hearing this. I'd just like to know why people are saying this

Thanks for the help so far guys!
    Build thread

12. #262 Re: 8.8 Install in a ZJ 
    look at it this way, say you did do it that way, your rotational forces and lateral forces on the studs, they will break, no question, take one of your studs and put it in a vise, then take your standard 32oz ball peen, and attack it, same concept only with a tire and more leverage on the jeep, ALOT more leverage.

just to drive home the concept......

i ASSume a 5.2 v8 correct? if so...... 44re/rh trans has a 2.74 1st ratio, then 2.72 in the transfer case, then (by what your sig line says) 3.73 at final, so do the math

2.74x2.72x3.73=27.79 crawl ratio, add in a 31" tire and rocks/rutted up trails/whatever you wheel on and engine torque.....(5.2's put out 300lb-ft factory, and multiply by your crawl ratio = roughly 8300lb-ft at the wheels)

i bet you can guess what happens to a bolt when its put under stresses that it was never designed for

with bolt on spacers it keeps the bolts in a shear like they were designed for, not a twisting force.

so for the long post but im sure everything is correct, if not someone else will chime in.

Just boobs.

And biggoofy.

13. #263 Re: 8.8 Install in a ZJ 
    I see where your coming from, makes a bit more sense.

I just have it in the back of my mind for some reason that it's still the same amount of pressure on the studs whether they bolt onto spacers with their own studs or go through though.

Idn, I'm looking for a set of spidertrax right now, I hate to spend the cash on them when I can make something at home, but it is what it is.

look at it this way, say you did do it that way, your rotational forces and lateral forces on the studs, they will break, no question, take one of your studs and put it in a vise, then take your standard 32oz ball peen, and attack it, same concept only with a tire and more leverage on the jeep, ALOT more leverage.

just to drive home the concept......

i ASSume a 5.2 v8 correct? if so...... 44re/rh trans has a 2.74 1st ratio, then 2.72 in the transfer case, then (by what your sig line says) 3.73 at final, so do the math

2.74x2.72x3.73=27.79 crawl ratio, add in a 31" tire and rocks/rutted up trails/whatever you wheel on and engine torque.....(5.2's put out 300lb-ft factory, and multiply by your crawl ratio = roughly 8300lb-ft at the wheels)

i bet you can guess what happens to a bolt when its put under stresses that it was never designed for

with bolt on spacers it keeps the bolts in a shear like they were designed for, not a twisting force.

so for the long post but im sure everything is correct, if not someone else will chime in.

edit:

Alright I give in, TBH I don't think there'd be a problem, but knowing my luck something WILL happen, and I have been warned about it, so....

I'm checking out spacers, these ones on ebay say they're cnc'd (not cast) 6061-t6, they're hubcentric, the size's I need, and a good price.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-pcs-1-5x4-...ht_1406wt_1327

Any reason not to grab these?
    Last edited by dyn0mitemat; 03-27-2012 at 11:37 PM.
    Build thread

14. #264 Re: 8.8 Install in a ZJ 
    the rotation vs. shear was the best way i could put it,

tis why teh tire monkeys at walmart broke off several studs on my junk, with an impact.

Just boobs.

And biggoofy.

15. #265 Re: 8.8 Install in a ZJ 
    Thats why me and a few select friends/family members are the only people I'll let touch my ride. I can't stand idiots putting things together with impacts

Those ebay spacers look alright to you?
    Build thread

16. #266 Re: 8.8 Install in a ZJ 
    cheap parts are like cheap tattoos, you get what you pay for, sometimes good, but most times, blah, im prolly gonna buy spidertrax spacers, so i can be done with my 8.8.

Just boobs.

And biggoofy.

17. #267 Re: 8.8 Install in a ZJ 
    The class retard Lifetime Supporter ajmorell's Avatar
    I agree that bolt on spacers are probably better, but that statement makes no sense. A bolt that fails by twisting is a shear failure....

18. #268 Re: 8.8 Install in a ZJ 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    I am very confused...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't wheel studs supposed to be mounted in tension? Meaning that friction keeps everything in place? So any shear failure, in theory, should be due to an insufficient clamping force? If so, the design of the spacer shouldn't matter, should it? As long as there is enough tension to create enough friction to keep anything from moving -- it'd be a happy camper.

So if that's the theory, does that actually translate to real life? Or are there other factors that come into play that make one design better than the other?

Or do wheel studs actually see an appreciable shear force even when mounted properly?
    Last edited by SirFuego; 03-28-2012 at 10:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

19. #269 Re: 8.8 Install in a ZJ 
    The class retard Lifetime Supporter ajmorell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    I am very confused...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't wheel studs supposed to be mounted in tension? Meaning that friction keeps everything in place? So any shear failure, in theory, should be due to an insufficient clamping force? If so, the design of the spacer shouldn't matter, should it? As long as there is enough tension to create enough friction to keep anything from moving -- it'd be a happy camper.

So if that's the theory, does that actually translate to real life? Or are there other factors that come into play that make one design better than the other?

Or do wheel studs actually see an appreciable shear force even when mounted properly?
    That's a good question, not something I really ever gave too much though. I would be inclined to believe you are right based on the design of lug nuts and how they seat against the wheel (the convex part of the nut seats against the concave part of the wheel), I think the intention is that the wheel shouldn't actually touch the stud correct? Even so, I would think that with longer lugs you would be increasing the bending moment on the lugs compared to a bolt in spacer. The force @ the end of the shaft would be the same either way though I think.

20. #270 Re: 8.8 Install in a ZJ 
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmorell View Post
    I agree that bolt on spacers are probably better, but that statement makes no sense. A bolt that fails by twisting is a shear failure....

maybe im a tad confused in my statement then.

Just boobs.

And biggoofy.

21. #271 Re: 8.8 Install in a ZJ 
    Well let me ask this then, I'm putting the 8.8 under mine at about 5" lift on LA's. I bought 35/12.5/15 mtr's and am going to mount them on 15" wheels ~3.5" backspacing. Do I need spacers to help fit these tires, or will there be enough room? I assumed going with wider tires and narrower axle that I'd need them, but I may not
    Build thread

22. #272 Re: 8.8 Install in a ZJ 
    No. I'm at roughly 5.5" on Clayton rear L/A's and 35 MTR's on an 8.8 and I'm fine.

www.militaryjeepers.com

97 ZJ 4.0, 5.5", Clayton's, Serious Off Road Products 1 Ton Steering, 242, 35" MT/R's with Kevlar

23. #273 Re: 8.8 Install in a ZJ 
    What backspacing are your rims?
    Build thread

24. #274 Re: 8.8 Install in a ZJ 
    3.5 basically same set up except for the long arms

www.militaryjeepers.com

25. #275 Re: 8.8 Install in a ZJ 
    Well it pretty much is because I ended up copying the claytons arms anyway.

Thanks for the info, saves me some cash
    Build thread

Thread Information