Thread: Under going a full Jeep swap (transmission issues)

1. #1 Under going a full Jeep swap (transmission issues) 
    Just a bit of back story: built a 94 5.2 a few years ago, the engine electronics finally ate thru my wallet. I found a 98 5.9 and started to swap all of my aftermarket parts, lift, 242 tcase, and so on.

A bit of research on my part would have led me to find out that my drive shafts wont swap from the 94 to the 98 due to the difference in length of the 46Rh (1994) and the 46Re (1998).

Thus my issue: the Zepetta front shaft was way to short and destroyed itself. In my infinite wisdom i decided to pull the front shaft from the 94 and of course its too long.

So the questions stand at: Will the 46RH work in the 98? If i shorten the front U joint style shaft will i end up with addition binding and drastic angle due to the difference in shaft length? Ultimately I'm just hoping for the shortest fix due to a wheeling trip this weekend.

Thanks in advance.
    1998 GC 5.9 Special Ed. RE 4.5" SF SA, Mickey T's 33x12.50 on ProComp 15x10's, Protofab PreRunner bumper, 10k Winch, 242TC swap

Current Issues: Destroyed front ring and pinion. Currently redneck yard art as I wait on taxes to fix the front end and install an 8.8 in the rear...
    Future upgrades: Rear bumper, rockers, skids...and on, and on, and on...

2. #2 Re: Under going a full Jeep swap (transmission issues) 
    so you want to swap transmissions to get a proper sized drive shaft?
    This person should be taken as seriously as a heart attack while piloting a zeppelin over a bacon factory, which is the most serious of heart attacks, because if that zeppelin crashes into that bacon factory all of us will be without bacon and that simply will not do.

3. #3 Re: Under going a full Jeep swap (transmission issues) 
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian_driver View Post
    so you want to swap transmissions to get a proper sized drive shaft?
    I want to do the swap since I spent 3k on the transmission about a year ago and have only put about 2000 miles on it since then. I had better than stock components put in the 46RH, and already have the 242 attached to it. I just figured it would be the cheaper of to routes; free for me to put the 46rh behind the 5.9, or spend money to get a front shaft re-sized to fit the 46re's dimensions.
    1998 GC 5.9 Special Ed. RE 4.5" SF SA, Mickey T's 33x12.50 on ProComp 15x10's, Protofab PreRunner bumper, 10k Winch, 242TC swap

Current Issues: Destroyed front ring and pinion. Currently redneck yard art as I wait on taxes to fix the front end and install an 8.8 in the rear...

4. #4 Re: Under going a full Jeep swap (transmission issues) 
    You do realize that the wiring nightmare that will ensue because you're swapping a transmission so you don't have to have new driveshafts built is absolutely ridiculous right? You're swapping in an OBDI tranny into an OBDII vehicle. The PCM on your vehicle is going to play hell because it gets no signal from the TCM since you're taking that out.
    Robert

94 ZJ 5.5" and 35" KM2's...

47 CJ2A

5. #5 Re: Under going a full Jeep swap (transmission issues) 
    Blackjack, the compatibility of the two different types of transmissions was the concern. Not whether it would fit, but rather would it work properly. I guess I incorrectly worded what information I was looking for in the first post. I figured on have to deal with wiring, but wasn't sure how much of headache it would be.

I was trying to look at as many options as possible that I could think of, it gets harder and harder to convince the Federal Bank of Wife that I'll be spending more money on my habit.

6. #6 Re: Under going a full Jeep swap (transmission issues) 
    -buy the proper drive shaft
    -enjoy your 46re
    -dont spend $3,000 on a transmission for a $3000 jeep ever again

7. #7 Re: Under going a full Jeep swap (transmission issues) 
    Good points moparrr, just needed that extra encouragement....

the $3k trans was supposed to be the last big money i spent on the 94. A year later, the PCM died, followed by the VIC, instrument panel, power door locks, rear hatch, heater control module... Thus the purchase of the 98...

Thread Information