Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

WJ Half Door Project

Thread: WJ Half Door Project

1. #1 WJ Half Door Project 
    -----Rocklin, Ca ----- USAF RETIRED 462X0
    My WJ Half Door Project.

I cut out the pieces with a jug saw which made quick work of it. I then welded in some 10 gauge sheet metal. Used some late Cherokee interior door handles. Just had to make new connecting rods for the locks to handles. All the electric door locks work like normal. I added some Polk 100w marine speakers to all 4 doors. Removed the door hinge pins and replaced them with wire lock pins. Can swap all 4 doors in about 10 minuets. Power heated mirrors work also.

More In Next Post.
    01 Grand, 6in lift, 33's, Aussie locked 30/35, front disco's, home made rock rails, Surco rack, grille guard, front and rear hitch, t-max 12500lb hitch winch, rock lights, TJ transfer skid plate, OBA and a few other things.

2. #2 Re: WJ Half Door Project 
    Here are more.

01 Grand, 6in lift, 33's, Aussie locked 30/35, front disco's, home made rock rails, Surco rack, grille guard, front and rear hitch, t-max 12500lb hitch winch, rock lights, TJ transfer skid plate, OBA and a few other things.

3. #3 Re: WJ Half Door Project 
    Caucasian Sensation Staff ELLLLLIOTTTTT's Avatar
    Very cool! Nice work. I miss my half doors.
    Ban Cowboy63b Fan Club Member #1

4. #4 Re: WJ Half Door Project 
    Those look SICK! and the fact that you still have normal doors for cold weather driving is even better.
    I collect Jeeps.

The Polar Bear Build on Mall Crawlin
    The Polar Bear Detailed Build

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

5. #5 Re: WJ Half Door Project 
    Very nice! I like the handles alot.

6. #6 Re: WJ Half Door Project 
    I like it! the handles are a nice touch. Could you detail the hinge mod a bit more? It would be nice to pull the doors that easily. BTW is that a lowered wk in your driveway?

7. #7 Re: WJ Half Door Project 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Nicely done! Only thing I would've done differently is a tube across the top. I wheeled without doors for a while, then went to tube doors, and found that I really like the protection it gives, as well as a place to rest my leg, while still allowing for very good visibility. But at 6'5" I can lean over the top tube a little more than most.

8. #8 Re: WJ Half Door Project 
    That's a really good job. couple thoughts...
    With that much material cut out, why go through the trouble of handles and locks? Won't you pretty much just be climbing through the window?
    What terrain do you wheel? I predict that rear door handle will be too caked in mud to use.
    96 ZJ.
    4.0, 42RE, NV242, stock 30/35
    5" LA, 33s
    MVC front bumper serial number 001,
    ...big dreams

9. #9 Re: WJ Half Door Project 
    I appreciate all the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeeptech01 View Post
    I like it! the handles are a nice touch. Could you detail the hinge mod a bit more? It would be nice to pull the doors that easily. BTW is that a lowered wk in your driveway?
    For the hinges I used an angle grinder with a cutting wheel and cut the pin in the middle. Then used a chisel to push the two halves apart. Then a drift to knock the parts out. I had to drill the hinge part that is left on the jeep to the size of the spring pin. Part that is on the door is the right size once you remove the two bushings. The spring pins are nice because the clip gives you something to pull on when removing them. Its a stock WK in the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    Nicely done! Only thing I would've done differently is a tube across the top. I wheeled without doors for a while, then went to tube doors, and found that I really like the protection it gives, as well as a place to rest my leg, while still allowing for very good visibility. But at 6'5" I can lean over the top tube a little more than most.
    Yeah, I will making a bar (removable) for the doors. That is why I left a part at the top of the door panels. I'm 6'3" and 250 so I know what ya mean. The door still gives ya a place to put your foot, but a bar is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by sevenslats View Post
    That's a really good job. couple thoughts...
    With that much material cut out, why go through the trouble of handles and locks? Won't you pretty much just be climbing through the window?
    What terrain do you wheel? I predict that rear door handle will be too caked in mud to use.
    I'm not a little guy (6'3" and 250) so it a little easier to open the door and get out. Also had to have a way to unlatch the door so I can get them off. I prefer not to wheel mud. Do mostly mild rocks and hard trails. I'll have a lot more to worry about cleaning up than the handles if I get in the mud with the half doors. I also plan on making vinyl or canvas snap in covers for the lower half of the doors so I can use them in a little mud.
    Last edited by gcjeeping; 11-22-2009 at 03:11 PM.

10. #10 Re: WJ Half Door Project 
    Ok that looks fairly straightforward. Good idea on the pin.

I looked at the wk again it just doesnt seem to have much wheel well room. Are the tires bigger than stock? Not really a big deal it just caught my eye.

11. #11 Re: WJ Half Door Project 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeptech01 View Post
    Ok that looks fairly straightforward. Good idea on the pin.

I looked at the wk again it just doesnt seem to have much wheel well room. Are the tires bigger than stock? Not really a big deal it just caught my eye.
    Tires are either stock or close to it. Its probably just an optical illusion.

12. #12 Re: WJ Half Door Project 
    Sorry to badger you so much about that must be an illusion. Anyway I meant to ask what did you do for disconnecting and reconnecting the door checks? Is it pinned too or do you just unbolt them?

Thread Information