Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
New Rear Bumper Build

Thread: New Rear Bumper Build

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. #1 New Rear Bumper Build 
    Started working on a new rear bumper to match the one I did for the front last year, and thought I'd get a few pics going.

The intent of this bumper is to obviously raise the departure angle (especially at the corners), provide tow points, and provide a place to store spare parts (axles shafts/fluids), by adding a removable plate on top and keeping the inside clear of bracing.

Hear, is the rough mockup of what the basic shape/clearances will be:

After looking at the mounting options, it seemed to me that utilizing the existing hitch would alleviate a lot of worries about mounting and strength, but severely impacts clearance. After looking at it, I decided to flip the tube and relocate the receiver to the top of the cross-tube. While at it, I was able to raise the tube itself, and shaved about 3/4" of the bottom of the mount. In all this raised the lowest portion of the existing hitch by almost 4 inches. On the inside of the frame I used 2" x 3" x 3/16" angle iron to provide a backing plate and increase frame strength where the hitch bolts in.

Also, to help with corner clearance, I went ahead and cut some of the extra steel out and redid the bottom corners under the tailights.

Here are some pics of the progress so far:

'97 ZJ Limited, Atlas II, 35" KM2's, 4.5" RE Springs + ACOS Spacers w/ Clayton's Longarms, Ford 8.8 w/ Triangulated Bilstein 5150's, Waggy D44, Lockers Front and Rear, and Lots of other customs stuff....

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15667

2. #2 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    Looks like it is coming along nicely. I'm interested in the final product.

By the way I'm local to you (I live in Martinez) if you need a hand sometime let me know.
    98 ZJ - On jack stands and in pieces in my garage
    Work in progress..

3. #3 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    if it is anything as nice looking as your front I can't wait for the pics!
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

4. #4 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    looks good , i like the storage compartment feature
    99 WJ, D60/14B, 5.38s, 203/D300, 39.5"s, H1s

It was a jeep thing, but that shit broke

5. #5 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    Rawr Lifetime Supporter jfowlzj95's Avatar
    Nice, I like how this is starting out.
    Jon

95 ZJ, it gone.
    07 Cummins Fire Truck, it tow.
    76 J-10, 'Heep' Jeep.
    06 Boobicon, it wheel.

6. #6 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    Definitely looks good S - looking forward to what you're talking about with regard to storage space.
    Last edited by fpkites; 02-25-2008 at 10:23 AM.
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (Claytons, Teraflex coils), 33" Kumho MT KL71s, Aussie in the rear
    A bunch of KOR stuff
    Taurus e-fan swap (DC Controls box)

GSW 2010 Pics

7. #7 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    Thanks guys, I'll try to keep the pics rolling out as I take them. So far this one is WAY easier than the front one was. I think reusing the hitch as the mount saved a huge amount of time in figuring out a solid attachment.

Dlowe, you'll have to come on over sometime and check it out. Always good to meet a fellow ZJ'er.
    '97 ZJ Limited, Atlas II, 35" KM2's, 4.5" RE Springs + ACOS Spacers w/ Clayton's Longarms, Ford 8.8 w/ Triangulated Bilstein 5150's, Waggy D44, Lockers Front and Rear, and Lots of other customs stuff....

8. #8 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    i love the idea for storing parts... i cant believe i didn't think of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Four Play View Post
    I'll probably go to Hell for that but fawk it, I'll upgrade my 1st class ticket and go for another pack of peanuts... cremation cost are on the rise anyway.

9. #9 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    could you post anymore pics on how you set up the reciever. It looks like just those two pieces of 3/16's angle. If thats it I wouldnt be to sure about pulling from it
    08 tundra double cab 5.7 4x4

I am jeepless at the moment.

Sold- Stock 03 WJ, 4.7HO. lift coming soon.

Sold-97 ZJ laredo 4.0, 242 RE BB, 31" BFG MTs, custom rear storage boxs, magnaflow hi flow cat, flow 70 series, 2.5 inch exhaust, jks quicker discos and some other crap
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2221028

10. #10 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    The Oil Dude MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    Looking good man, I am sure it will turn out sweet just like most things on your Jeep.

Dirk
    Your #1 Source for Amsoil Lubricants

Lube it or Loose it!

11. #11 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    interesting.. i was planning on havin someone make me a new rear soon... ill try the same idea of using my hitch as a mounting point
    Matt
    December '09 ROTM
    93 ZJ 5.2 242J
    HP30-truetrac/D44a-Aussie 4.56
    6.5" Long Arms, 35"s

12. #12 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    Quote Originally Posted by violatedppl View Post
    could you post anymore pics on how you set up the reciever. It looks like just those two pieces of 3/16's angle. If thats it I wouldnt be to sure about pulling from it
    I'm re-using the existing setup, albeit slightly more reinforced around the framerails. I figure if it is strong enough to be sold as a class III hitch, then it's strong enough to work this way as well.

13. #13 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    Haven't had a lot of time to work on it lately, but did get one of the upper corners put together and tacked in today. Here's a few pics of the framework for the corner:

14. #14 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    lookin real good! I like how it's nice and rounded like the tail lights on the corners. that's how i want mine to turn out.
    Weekend play toy: 96 ZJ 4.0L
    HP44- 4.88's and detroit locker
    Ford 9"- 4.86's and detroit locker
    Clayton's 7" long arm with high clearance axle bracket kits front and rear
    35x12.5 cooper stt's on 15x10 "rock krawler" rims with 4" bs.
    ORGS super nerfs

Daily driver:
    05 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII MR
    400hp and some eye candy

15. #15 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    Shawn,

Looks good, except for the dent in your rear quarter, where did that come from? Hope to wheel with you again soon.
    Going to GSW by any chance?

Ron
    95 ZJ 5.2L/ Atlas II/ 8.5" Custom R.E.L.A. Kit with 35" MTR's on MT true beadlocks/ Ft Tera 50 with 31-spline alloy shafts/ Rear Tera 60 with 35-spline alloy shafts/ ARB's/ 4.56 gears/ winch/ FT & Rear bumpers/ custom rock sliders/ etc. etc.

16. #16 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    Lookin' great. Do you need to add some triangulation around the sides, or will that come later?

17. #17 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    Looks really good, what guage steel is that? I had a dent in my quarter panel and I was able to take appart the inside and get a hammer and dollie and shrinking hammer it out. Didnt look as big as yours but if you want it fixed without having to paint it you might want to try that.

18. #18 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelnzj View Post
    Shawn,

Looks good, except for the dent in your rear quarter, where did that come from? Hope to wheel with you again soon.
    Going to GSW by any chance?

Ron
    Unfortunately, I've got too much going on this spring to even consider heading to GSW, but hopefully I can make that one soon enough. I'd like to get some good trips in this summer though, so definitely keep me in mind when you headed up for a weekend.

That dent has been there for a while, it was actually already there at GSR last year. I just haven't taken the time to take the inside panel off to hammer it out. I have to take it out to run antenna wire for my CB so was just figuring I'd fix it then. It's really not too bad.

19. #19 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    Quote Originally Posted by grandmaster View Post
    Looks really good, what guage steel is that? I had a dent in my quarter panel and I was able to take appart the inside and get a hammer and dollie and shrinking hammer it out. Didnt look as big as yours but if you want it fixed without having to paint it you might want to try that.
    Most of the dent won't even take a hammer, its just caved in, except for one small area.

The bumper will be made with a 1/8" on the upper areas that won't take many hits, and the bottom impact areas will be 3/16". I still have a lot to add around the bottom to tie everything together.

Since I'm using the hitch mount and it extends forward pretty far, I am also going to add some reinforcing tube that will tie the impact and cantilever portions back into that for a bit more support on the corners.

20. #20 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    Got a bit more done yesterday. Now have both upper sides welded in and skinned. Will still be closing in the bottoms on the sides and around the corners to add some stiffness and clean up the looks of it. Here's a few new pics:

21. #21 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    Nice and clean.
    Project Never-ending
    1997 ZJ - sold
    www.tntcustoms.com

22. #22 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    Looks good. I like that the sides sit flush with the fender.

23. #23 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 5.9 ANDY's Avatar
    looking sweet dude, we should hook up some time and go wheeling.
    proud Lance Corporal in the Unted States Marine Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post

This website is bad for the health of your vehicles, enjoy your stay

24. #24 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    Got a lot done this weekend. Now have almost all of the major fab done and only have to fit a couple more pieces on the corners, trim the wheel wells, and then finish welding it up and getting it ready to paint. Here's some new pics:

25. #25 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    looks good.
    Is the CB antenna staying there?
    Black 97 ZJ, 4.0, 242, Clayton LA 4.5" lift +2"spacers, TW DS, 8.8 4.10's, HPD30 4.11, WJ steering conversion, 1 ton flip, PSC , KOR TB conversion, Front axle Currie JJ bushing conversion, Baja Claws 33's, Custom front & rear bumpers, Rear tire carrier, rock sliders
    Works in progress->...
    http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...4/P1010203.jpg

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Thread Information