Thread: Where is the latest hot place to buy unit bearings?

1. #1 Where is the latest hot place to buy unit bearings? 
    I found a link on a forum a while back to a company called "Tapco" who had them for 72 bucks apiece. I bought one and it arrived on a timely basis, but shortly after I had some suspicious activity on my credit card. I don't plan to buy from them again, but I've run the bearing like 4-6 months without any major problems. Anyway, where is the best place to buy these things? Anybody offer a lifetime warranty on them?
    Last edited by Jim311; 03-26-2006 at 02:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ
    it's a hobby that rarely makes good financial sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska ZJ
    I can proudly say that I am one of the "OG's" of mutilating a perfectly good luxury SUV.
    1996 V8, Claytons, HP30/D44a locked, ARB, winch, WJ brakes and high steer, 33s, some body damage.

2. #2 Re: Where is the latest hot place to buy unit bearings? 
    I believe when I bought them from Napa they had a lifetime warranty....it's been a while and I'm not sure where my receipt is. I'll have to look around.
    5.9 ZJ With stuff attached
    It's true that I'm old enough to have been there done that.....it doesn't make me an expert...it just gives me an educated opinion.

3. #3 Re: Where is the latest hot place to buy unit bearings? 
    Caucasian Sensation Staff ELLLLLIOTTTTT's Avatar
    NAPA is the only place that sells genuine timken made bearings. Can't beat that.
    Ban Cowboy63b Fan Club Member #1

4. #4 Re: Where is the latest hot place to buy unit bearings? 
    I got raped on them at cap, becuase i didnt call around enough. i payed like 180 or 280 for the set, i cant remember. but my friend picked them up cheap as HELL at tire wearhouse or somehitng like that, it was a tire shop tho, its ZJ in progress if you want to pm him. I ahd these timkens for maybe 5k? one of them only has like 4k tho becuase after about 1k the thing was shit and i was like WTF?!. i looked at it adn it was all blue adn discolored like it heated up like crazy. they warrantied it and then i rolled mrolled the yj. I think the unit bearings are the same... only diff is zj=lp and yj=hp, but idk if it will matter. id give mine up for 75 for the pair if you want em. but its up to you dawg. pm me or somethin
    96 ZJ... Little bit of Jeep/Dodge/AMC/Chevy/Ford... oh, and Cummins

TOW RIG: 99 Black EC/LB Cummins. GV Overdrive Unit-AD150-Adrenaline/CTD150s-62/14/65-Valair 550hp SD-4''TB Duals/315's

5. #5 Re: Where is the latest hot place to buy unit bearings? 
    I'll pass on the used unit bearings unless you're selling them mad cheap
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ
    it's a hobby that rarely makes good financial sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska ZJ
    I can proudly say that I am one of the "OG's" of mutilating a perfectly good luxury SUV.
    1996 V8, Claytons, HP30/D44a locked, ARB, winch, WJ brakes and high steer, 33s, some body damage.

6. #6 Re: Where is the latest hot place to buy unit bearings? 
    last time i bought some for my xj i bought them at tire warehouse....i think i paid 89 a peice with tax. as far as i know they are still holding up, i bet they have got about 7,000 miles on them now most of which is with 33s and now 35's, but the kid doesn't really wheel it......

Mike
    2000 xj------lifted locked and being built.........

7. #7 Re: Where is the latest hot place to buy unit bearings? 
    I have several sets of useds ones I got off free or cheap D30s that I've been running.
    03 Subaru WRX
    98 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
    98 Jeep ZJ
    95 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD

8. #8 Re: Where is the latest hot place to buy unit bearings? 
    BANNED Lifetime Supporter CurtP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Puma297
    NAPA is the only place that sells genuine timken made bearings. Can't beat that.
    Is that the difference between the Napa Timken wheel unit bearings and the ones from VatoZone? The ones from VatoZone are now up to $145/ea and come with a 1-year warranty. The ones from Napa are $219/ea with a lifetime warranty (at least I think they're lifetime). OEM are $208/ea from CPD (warranty unknown). VatoZone part number 513084 is the same part number that pulls up on Timken's website, but that part number seemes to be referenced for just about all manufacturers. Using that part number I was able to pull up the bearing on Napa's website too, but doing it through the make/model/year pulls up part number BRGBR930014 (the cheap Napa bearing uses this same part number too).

None of the AutoZones have two bearings in stock. I'll have to drive to two different stores and pick one up from each or order them online. I haven't checked to see if Napa has them in-stock yet, and if I get OEM, I'll order them online.

I know this thread is old as shit (and in the wrong forum to begin with). But I'm on the search for a pair of new front unit bearings and came across this thread (amongst many others). So instead of starting yet another thread, I thought I'd post to this old-ass one.

9. #9 Re: Where is the latest hot place to buy unit bearings? 
    I get Federal Mogul bearings from my friend for $150, cost price.

NAPA should be lifetime for the premium brand. But they were too rich for my blood at the time.
    Last edited by ILikeMud; 01-05-2007 at 02:29 PM.
    Anthony

96 Talon TSI AWD - Hey, at least it has a transfer case.
    03 Chevy Tracker - I hate IFS!

10. #10 Re: Where is the latest hot place to buy unit bearings? 
    i got some on ebay for like $70 a piece, now i know why. i only had them about 2 years and they were totally shot. luckily they had a lifetime warranty and the company was good for it. i sent the old ones back and they gave me a new set no questions asked.
    -04' silver ram 1500. 5.7 hemi. 4x4. a few goodies.
    -98' chargold zj. 4.0/242. stocker.
    -09' black yamaha rhino SE. new offroad play toy.
    -96' black zj. 4.0/242. re 4.5" + 2" BB, 35" bfg at's, 8.8 w/ e-locker, open HP30, 4.56's, TW SYE & F/R driveshafts, currie steering, addco's F/R, ARB'ed, Warn 8k winch, & armor. - SOLD

11. #11 Re: Where is the latest hot place to buy unit bearings? 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter Colorado 5.9's Avatar
    Where can you get 30 spline D30 unit bearings to go with the super 30 kit?
    98ZJ 5.9, 7" T&T's Long arm kit with belly pan,frame stiffeners,trusses front & rear. 35X12.50 16 BFG KM2's.4.56 Gears, Trail Ready Rear Bumper,Arbed HP D30 Aussie locked rear,ect.ect. Latest 5.9 Pics.

12. #12 Re: Where is the latest hot place to buy unit bearings? 
    Alloy USA makes 30 spline hubs.
    Anthony

96 Talon TSI AWD - Hey, at least it has a transfer case.
    03 Chevy Tracker - I hate IFS!

13. #13 Re: Where is the latest hot place to buy unit bearings? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Puma297

Actually I got a couple of timken bearing at Autozone a few months back. When I called they said they didn't have any but I took the bearing in and they searched off the bearing part number and had a few in stock. Surprising to me but they were a couple bucks cheaper than NAPA as well.
    "Matt"

14. #14 Re: Where is the latest hot place to buy unit bearings? 
    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeMud
    Alloy USA makes 30 spline hubs.
    I'd heard that but they aren't on their website.
    98ZJ 5.9, 7" T&T's Long arm kit with belly pan,frame stiffeners,trusses front & rear. 35X12.50 16 BFG KM2's.4.56 Gears, Trail Ready Rear Bumper,Arbed HP D30 Aussie locked rear,ect.ect. Latest 5.9 Pics.

15. #15 Re: Where is the latest hot place to buy unit bearings? 
    my brother and I both have the autozone Timken ones and got them back when they were lifetime and cheaper than they are now BUT I don't think those bastids will still honor the lifetime warrenty that they had when I got them back in the day
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

16. #16 Re: Where is the latest hot place to buy unit bearings? 
    DJJordache - now they list them as one-year warranty. No more lifetime warranty. I was just trying to figure out what the difference, if any (other than warranty) there was between the AutoZone and the Napa bearings. I'm not sure that a lifetime warranty is worth an extra $74/ea.

This is one of those things that I don't want to have to do again in another year. Not that they're difficult to replace - I just don't have the time anymore (and I'm getting tired of wrenching on the damn thing).

I need to do control arm bushings and motor mounts too

17. #17 Re: Where is the latest hot place to buy unit bearings? 
    yeah I know about the one year thing but back when I got them they were lifetime warranty and I guess if I wanted to push it if I needed to replace them outside of a years time I have the original receipt somewhere that says on it LIFETIME

and yeah I hear ya on the CA bushings I'm gonna try the energy suspension poly bushings when I swap in the 8.8 that I'm almost ready to put it. the good thing about these bushings is that I won't have to press out the old metal bushing shells, just the rubber inside and then press in the poly into the metal shell. hopefully it goes as easy as it sounds! I have also done the drivers side motor mount about 4x since I got the ZJ, i'm getting pretty quick at it
    Last edited by DJJordache; 01-06-2007 at 12:34 AM.
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

18. #18 Re: Where is the latest hot place to buy unit bearings? 
    I would guess they would honor the lifetime with the receipt but the new one would not be.

19. #19 Re: Where is the latest hot place to buy unit bearings? 
    Cheapest ones I have seen are the 2 timkens I am selling off of my heep... 75 bucks shipped/ea

I know they are expensive but I would never run anything but a timken

20. #20 Re: Where is the latest hot place to buy unit bearings? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordic1
    Cheapest ones I have seen are the 2 timkens I am selling off of my heep... 75 bucks shipped/ea

I know they are expensive but I would never run anything but a timken
    Lifetime warranty? Go exchange them for a new set and I'll take them

I got another pair of unit bearings (OEM) to try, and it didn't make a fucking bit of difference. At least I didn't spend any moneny on them. So now I don't know where the noise is coming from (kind a grinding noise/metallic rapping when turning left or right). If the weather is OK this weekend, I'm pulling the front driveshaft.

21. #21 Re: Where is the latest hot place to buy unit bearings? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado 5.9
    Where can you get 30 spline D30 unit bearings to go with the super 30 kit?
    Is it my bad but i thought that the Super 30 was 30 spline inners and 27 spline outers?

Phil
    95ZJ 249>242; RE 4.5+2.5"ACOS & BB;Lost in Short Arm Land; 4.56; Superior; ARB lockers & Bull Bar;33"TruxusMT; ADDCOs F&R; Bilsteins; JKS sliders,rear TB n Discos;Kevins TB conversion;

http://raskull.com/misc/golub.gif

22. #22 Re: Where is the latest hot place to buy unit bearings? 
    The super 30 kit uses 27 spline outers, 30 spine inners

23. #23 Re: Where is the latest hot place to buy unit bearings? 
    Well that's what I could never really figure out for sure. The decriptions never really say. I might just have go with Alloy's 30/30 kit then.

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...OYUSA-GRANDE30

I'll still have to find the right unit bearings to fit my(98) knuckles though. It seems I can only find 30 spline UB's for 2000 to 2006 d30 knuckles so far.
    Last edited by Colorado 5.9; 01-11-2007 at 05:02 PM.

24. #24 Re: Where is the latest hot place to buy unit bearings? 
    I know it's cheating a bit.....but you get the ones with the lifetime warranty....if you ever switch vehicles within reason a dana 30 is a dana 30...they all fit.
    5.9 ZJ With stuff attached
    It's true that I'm old enough to have been there done that.....it doesn't make me an expert...it just gives me an educated opinion.

Thread Information