Thread: Diamond plate cladding for WJ

1. #1 Diamond plate cladding for WJ 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    GSSW Planner
    I've been meaning to make replacement cladding for several years since I shredded my original plastic. Finally got around to it a few months ago and whipped some up using 1\8" diamond plate steel. LOTS of help from Kevin's Offroad (thanks Bryant!), got it powder coated 3% gloss black, and finally got it mounted up today. We made templates at Kevin's, so if there's much interest I'm sure he'll offer it as a product.

I'm really happy w\ how it turned out, my only complaint is the white strip between the cladding and the rock rails looks bad. I'll probably paint it w\ Herculiner.

The mounting hardware was a pain in the ass, I'd probably do it differently if I did it again. I used stainless 3\4" 1\4-20 countersunk screws, and the placement of a few of the nuts was a bitch. I'd like to hear ideas how other people would have mounted it. I was thinking if I did it over I'd probably just use self-tapping screws and several beads of construction adhesive. Thoughts?

Now I just need a rear bumper (*cough* Kevin *cough*)
    Attached Images   
    Last edited by FearTheDentist; 08-10-2009 at 12:18 AM.

2. #2 Re: Diamond plate cladding for WJ 
    Caucasian Sensation Staff ELLLLLIOTTTTT's Avatar
    That looks really good man! If you don't like the white stripe there you could always do cut out rockers and raise those slides up a few inches.
    Ban Cowboy63b Fan Club Member #1

3. #3 Re: Diamond plate cladding for WJ 
    GSSW Planner
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
    That looks really good man! If you don't like the white stripe there you could always do cut out rockers and raise those slides up a few inches.
    Thanks! I hadn't considered cutting out the rockers. Anyone who's done this want to post how they went about it? Isn't there a pinch seam that would be cut off? If so, would you just leave a lip, bend it up and rivet or weld it like you do when trimming the rear wheel well?
    Last edited by FearTheDentist; 09-02-2009 at 10:33 AM.

4. #4 Re: Diamond plate cladding for WJ 
    Supporting Vendor GSSW Planner
    MallCrawlin Vendor
    It looks good I would like to see some day pics.
    Bryant
    Barbaric Suspension & Fab

KevinsOffRoad.com

5. #5 Re: Diamond plate cladding for WJ 
    I have cut the rockers.... Easy to do look here:
    http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=803802

Sorry it is not very detailed on photo's but I was in a hurry to get it done as I was leaving for MOAB in the morning.
    99' WJ
    Custom LA lift with 14" Fox coilovers, FW Super 60 front and Sterling 10.5 rear locked, Custom front and rear bumpers, raised gas tank, boat sides, 37's and lots of fender trimming

6. #6 Re: Diamond plate cladding for WJ 
    GSSW Planner
    Damn- that's a really nice build, hopefully I can make my sheet metal work look half as clean...

Looks like you took your rockers right up to the door sill, correct?

Here's some daylight pics Bryant, I'm going to the beach tonight, maybe I can get some better pics while I'm there.
    Attached Images    

7. #7 Re: Diamond plate cladding for WJ 
    Is the jeep still in AZ or is it here now? We've got a meeting Thursday night, btw.

8. #8 Re: Diamond plate cladding for WJ 
    Thank you!

Yes I cut right at the bottom of the roll at the door sill. It will leave it level with the bottom of the floor. I left the pinch weld and used it to run some stitch welds on the back of the 2x6 for some added strength. Then I trimmed off where it hung down.
    99' WJ
    Custom LA lift with 14" Fox coilovers, FW Super 60 front and Sterling 10.5 rear locked, Custom front and rear bumpers, raised gas tank, boat sides, 37's and lots of fender trimming

9. #9 Re: Diamond plate cladding for WJ 
    MallCrawlin Vendor
    Looks good. If anyone wants any as soon as we get some people interested we will start making them. they will be available in diamond plate and flat steel. Also ZJ cladding to come I will be working on that tomorrow. Sorry for the shameless plug Brian LOL.

KevinsOffRoad.com

10. #10 Re: Diamond plate cladding for WJ 
    GSSW Planner
    Quote Originally Posted by bshows73 View Post
    Sorry for the shameless plug Brian LOL.
    By all means- that's the main reason I put this up (I don't usually post my junk). I couldn't have made it w\o your help so hopefully there's enough interest to make it worthwhile as a product.

Also- I really like that 3% gloss, and it really goes with my new wheels. Why the hell did I spend so much $$$ on aluminum rims when these plain black steelies look so much better ?

What do people think of using self tapping screws (say spaced every 6") and construction adhesive for mounting? It would be a hell of a lot easier than the way I did it. I wouldn't trust the screws alone, thus the adhesive. Good idea or dumb?
    Last edited by FearTheDentist; 08-10-2009 at 05:24 PM.

11. #11 Re: Diamond plate cladding for WJ 
    GSSW Planner
    Quote Originally Posted by spykosshow View Post
    Is the jeep still in AZ or is it here now? We've got a meeting Thursday night, btw.
    Jeep's here now, I'm pretty much settled in for good. I'm going to be at the beach Thursday pm I know where the 4WP shop is now though, so I'll make it one of these days.

Once I've got some time off y'all will have to show me some of the local trails!

12. #12 Re: Diamond plate cladding for WJ 
    What about rivnuts? fwiw that's what a lot of the genright stuff for my yj uses.
    re: testy
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady
    scrotum.

13. #13 Re: Diamond plate cladding for WJ 
    Quote Originally Posted by FearTheDentist View Post
    Jeep's here now, I'm pretty much settled in for good. I'm going to be at the beach Thursday pm I know where the 4WP shop is now though, so I'll make it one of these days.

Once I've got some time off y'all will have to show me some of the local trails!

Ya vageej. Haha.

The closest trail really is URE, about an hour away from here. Then there's callante, big dogs, gulches, harlan, etc.

14. #14 Re: Diamond plate cladding for WJ 
    Senior Member GSSW Planner chadjans's Avatar
    Rivits or blind nuts is what I would have used.

I would have also used aluminum not steel or better yet plastic cutting board material (like Mike White used on his ZJ). And I thought my rig was heavy.

15. #15 Re: Diamond plate cladding for WJ 
    GSSW Planner
    Quote Originally Posted by chadjans View Post
    Rivits or blind nuts is what I would have used.

I would have also used aluminum not steel or better yet plastic cutting board material (like Mike White used on his ZJ). And I thought my rig was heavy.
    Meh...if I was plating all over the place the weight may be a concern, but in this application the impact of the weight difference between aluminum and steel is insignificant, while the cost difference was.

I used rivnuts in a few spots where a backing nut\washer was really difficult to place, but I don't trust them to stand up to much of an impact. Also, my concern at this point is more for the end user if KOR offers this as a product- I'm sure a lot of their customers don't have a thread setter at their disposal.

16. #16 Re: Diamond plate cladding for WJ 
    Looks good. If anyone wants any as soon as we get some people interested we will start making them. they will be available in diamond plate and flat steel. Also ZJ cladding to come I will be working on that tomorrow. Sorry for the shameless plug Brian LOL.

Get er done! I want some ZJ cladding.

This stuff is solid, I saw it at the shop when Bryant and I installed my sliders.
    Last edited by ZJones; 08-11-2009 at 11:27 PM.

17. #17 Re: Diamond plate cladding for WJ 
    im DEFINATELY interested in the ZJ cladding!!! brian said he was workin on some a couple weeks ago! hopin to get it sooN!

18. #18 Re: Diamond plate cladding for WJ 
    MallCrawlin Vendor
    Steel will be here tomorrow to start the prototyping on the ZJ! Will also be looking at how realistic it would be to build quarter panel protection. Mine will be easy since I have fender flares but we will see on normal production. It may not be possible we will see.

KevinsOffRoad.com

19. #19 Re: Diamond plate cladding for WJ 
    Steel will be here tomorrow to start the prototyping on the ZJ! Will also be looking at how realistic it would be to build quarter panel protection. Mine will be easy since I have fender flares but we will see on normal production. It may not be possible we will see.
    If its possible I want some corners with NO lights cut out..... Im tired of breaking them big lights I'm gonna do little rounds in tail gate.
    94 ZJ I6 3.5" on 33's All the protection needed from the Dr. himself!!!!!!!!!!
    http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/
    http://photobucket.com/hoffy

Thread Information