Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Goldensd's Build Pics -3/12 Rear Spring Revamp - Page 3

Thread: Goldensd's Build Pics -3/12 Rear Spring Revamp

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. #51 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics 
    Well, I still haven't gotten around to painting the rear bumper, but I did throw together some quick connect mud flaps the other day to finish it off:

'97 ZJ Limited, Atlas II, 35" KM2's, 4.5" RE Springs + ACOS Spacers w/ Clayton's Longarms, Ford 8.8 w/ Triangulated Bilstein 5150's, Waggy D44, Lockers Front and Rear, and Lots of other customs stuff....

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15667

2. #52 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics 
    I'm also just starting this winter's project, and have been collecting the pieces. I'm going to plate/tube the outer fenders for protection, and to cutout the front to fit some new treads (35" KM2's) without any more lift. Also, just scored a Waggy D44 that I will be building to slide under the front.

Here's a couple pics of how it is starting. The white paper will be the plate, and I plan to bend tube and cut it in half and weld to the plate at the edge.

'97 ZJ Limited, Atlas II, 35" KM2's, 4.5" RE Springs + ACOS Spacers w/ Clayton's Longarms, Ford 8.8 w/ Triangulated Bilstein 5150's, Waggy D44, Lockers Front and Rear, and Lots of other customs stuff....

3. #53 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics 
    I have to say that the roof rack is probably the best home made roof rack Ive seen. Very clean build. I bet with the rack on, you barely notice a difference in mpg too, its only a couple inches tall. Nice work!
    ZJ to WJ to JK back to WJ 4 Lyfe

4. #54 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics 
    Well, I got the hard part done for the front fenders. Just need to bevel and clean up all the plates, cutout the fenders and then weld in the 1/2 tube and prep for some paint. Here's a couple pics of the work so far.

The good and the bad, is that in the process of doing this, I've realized that I might as well take my sliders, and cut them into the rockers to raise them up about an 1 1/2" to allow the vertical plate to cover the entire rocker up to the bottom of the doors.

5. #55 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics - Added "Fender Flare" Work 
    I really like the way these look and am always impressed with your work...

keep it up
    1998 5.9, 5.5" Front/ 4.5" Rear (RE), 33/12.50's Trxus MT's, ARB Bumper w/Warn 9500HS, 231HD...SOLD...Stupid Divorce!!

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_driver View Post
    start giving teachers guns... or tazers.... or clubs or just a 2x4 with a nail in it

6. #56 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics - Added "Fender Flare" Work 
    Just about got these things complete, just have to do the finish welding, and make them pretty for the paint. I'm actually pretty stoked at how well they turned out, and how strong they are. Just need to trim the bumper sliders, and build an axle so I can get those 35's tucked in there!!

Here's a couple pics...

7. #57 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics - Added "Fender Flare" Work 
    dude you have a sweet garage! pipe bender, welder, tv mounted up high, and a case of coors... man you are set!

oh and the fender flares look great too

8. #58 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics - Added "Fender Flare" Work 
    It's looking good! Looking forward to see what they look like finished.
    "Matt"

9. #59 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics - Front "Tubed" Fenders Complete 
    I got the front fenders completed and primed this weekend, just need to trim the sliders and my bumper back. Probably won't put final paint on until I finish everything else, so I only have to setup for painting one time.

Here's a few pics in primer:

And here is another little present that showed up this week:

10. #60 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics - "Tubed" Fenders Complete 
    Bastid
    Poetry in commotion.

11. #61 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics - "Tubed" Fenders Complete 
    I've been hesitant to cut the fenders on mine because I don't want it to look like hacked shit. You've come up with a pretty ingenuitive solution. Good work.
    I collect Jeeps.

The Polar Bear Build on Mall Crawlin
    The Polar Bear Detailed Build

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

12. #62 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics - "Tubed" Fenders Complete 
    Nice work!

13. #63 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics - "Tubed" Fenders Complete 
    Quote Originally Posted by downtowncb View Post
    I've been hesitant to cut the fenders on mine because I don't want it to look like hacked shit. You've come up with a pretty ingenuitive solution. Good work.
    That was part of my motivation to do these, as I needed to cut so I can fit some 35's without adding any more lift. That and I got tired of every little hit denting the sheetmetal above the tires.

14. #64 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics - "Tubed" Fenders Complete 
    Are you trimming the rear as well or just tubing it?
    I collect Jeeps.

The Polar Bear Build on Mall Crawlin
    The Polar Bear Detailed Build

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

15. #65 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics - "Tubed" Fenders Complete 
    Quote Originally Posted by downtowncb View Post
    Are you trimming the rear as well or just tubing it?
    Right now, with my bumper I don't think I will have to cut the rear, except for tapering my sliders a little, so hopefully it will just get the plate and tube. The size of tube I used is almost the exact width of the sheet metal that runs behind the doors, so it will look sweet to not cut have to cut anything. Gonna have to switch bolt patterns on the axles and get the rubber on there to verify.

16. #66 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics - "Tubed" Fenders Complete 
    Are those tube fenders tied into the frint bumper and sliders? If not where is the stregth?

17. #67 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics - "Tubed" Fenders Complete 
    Quote Originally Posted by -=Lurker=- View Post
    Are those tube fenders tied into the frint bumper and sliders? If not where is the stregth?
    No it is not tied into the bumper/sliders as those have some flex to them, so I wanted the fender to stay independent. The strength comes from a combination of a few things. For starters these are built on using a 1/4" plate on the front (overkill, but 4'x4' sheet for free gets the job) and 1/8" plate on the back. I threaded studs into the 1/4" that went through the sheetmetal and 1/8" plate to allow me to suck everything together tight creating a huge friction area to hold the plates in place. I then did a bunch of plug welds that went through the 1/4" and sheet metal to the 1/8" backing plate to further eliminate the plates from being able to move on the sheet metal. Finally, I ran some tube from the backside backing plate and welded them to plates that I welded to some of the stronger seems at the inside of the fender well.

Needless to say, if I do hit something hard enough to bang up the fenders at this point, I am pretty sure the fenders will be the least of my worries....

18. #68 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics - "Tubed" Fenders Complete 
    Looking good - very nice work and pimp garage !
    Nick
    03 WJ 4.7 242HD Kolak/IRO 5" Clayton LA's
    35" BFGoodrich KM2

sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
    www.carolinadriveline.com
    www.ironrockoffroad.com
    kolak@aol.com

19. #69 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics - "Tubed" Fenders Complete 
    The Oil Dude MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    Excellant work as usual!!!!!!!
    Your #1 Source for Amsoil Lubricants

Lube it or Loose it!

20. #70 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics - Front "Tubed" Fenders Complete 
    Member Lifetime Supporter Varkyl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goldensd View Post
    And here is another little present that showed up this week:
    Very nice!!
    I was just looking at the pricing of those yesterday. I see that you got the 4.3:1 and 23 spline long input. Not sure what the other info is for though. What tail housing did you get? standard or short? So do tell on all the goodies about that hunk o aluminum!
    '96 ZJ slightly modded with more in the works (5.3L HP44 and SF 14b)
    '03 WJ Limited 4.7HO - just starting the journey

21. #71 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics - Front "Tubed" Fenders Complete 
    Quote Originally Posted by Varkyl View Post
    Very nice!!
    I was just looking at the pricing of those yesterday. I see that you got the 4.3:1 and 23 spline long input. Not sure what the other info is for though. What tail housing did you get? standard or short? So do tell on all the goodies about that hunk o aluminum!
    Yeah, I grabbed this during their christmas special, and got the free add-ons for the 4.3 gearing and the heavy 32 spline front output, and it has the standard tailhousing with 1310 cvs outs on both ends.. Freebies were still far from free, but at least it was something.

22. #72 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics - Front "Tubed" Fenders Complete 
    Member Lifetime Supporter Varkyl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goldensd View Post
    Yeah, I grabbed this during their christmas special, and got the free add-ons for the 4.3 gearing and the heavy 32 spline front output, and it has the standard tailhousing with 1310 cvs outs on both ends.. Freebies were still far from free, but at least it was something.
    That is the exact one that I want. So I think they messed up and accidently sent mine to you. If you would be kind enough to box it back up and ship it to me I would be grateful.

Very nice build. I had been thinking about doing fenders similar to how you did yours but I didn't think of the plating or the half tube. Mine was trimming the fenders then bending the tube and cutting a slit into it and slipping it over the cut fender. So instead of using edge trimming it would be steel tube. But I am liking your idea better. Do you have any pics of the inside of the fenders and supports?
    '96 ZJ slightly modded with more in the works (5.3L HP44 and SF 14b)
    '03 WJ Limited 4.7HO - just starting the journey

23. #73 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics - Front "Tubed" Fenders Complete 
    Pinch Yo Sack Pimp MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    dude everythgin looks wicked. but those dif skids are rediculiouse. why protect a peie of metal thats already more then 1/2' thick?
    EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer
    EPIC POLYMER RACING ULTRA 4 Buggy Build WJ Grand Cherokee

24. #74 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics - "Tubed" Fenders Complete 
    x2 never got the point of skids like tha.. i drag mine alot.. doesnt hurt anything
    95 ZJ/ 5.2 / HD Dana 44 front / 14b rear / 5.5" CLAYTONS / 38'' Grooved TSL's / CLAYTONS belly skid / NP231 w/sye

25. #75 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics - Front "Tubed" Fenders Complete 
    Quote Originally Posted by Varkyl View Post
    Very nice build. I had been thinking about doing fenders similar to how you did yours but I didn't think of the plating or the half tube. Mine was trimming the fenders then bending the tube and cutting a slit into it and slipping it over the cut fender. So instead of using edge trimming it would be steel tube. But I am liking your idea better. Do you have any pics of the inside of the fenders and supports?

Actually this whole thing originally got started because I had almost the same idea as you, but I talked with a few people that know about bending pipe, and spent some time looking closer, and decided it would be nearly impossible to get a complete tube bent to cleanly follow the compound bend coming down the back of the fender.

Here's a couple pics of the inside:

I also got the bumper trimmed and new corners put back on tonight. Bumper isn't bolted in, so the lines are a little off in the pic:

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Thread Information